"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Iced Coffee Recipe

I don't really know why I'm publishing all these recipes.

Meh.

And yes, Chamal, I know Sri Lanka does produce coffee...(I think...)

Anyhoo.

I love coffee. Gloria Jeans (which is a coffee shop, btw, that is as popular here as Starbucks is in America) is my favourite place. In summer, I have the Very Vanilla Chiller, which is a flavoured expresso milk slushie. In winter, I have the Very Vanilla Latte, which is flavoured expresso latte. Yum. Super unhealthy - lots of milk and sugary vanilla syrup, but what the buck - I love it.

But I am not so rich as to have Gloria Jeans every day. At school, I buy iced mochas - nothing fancy, just flavoured milk in those little card cartons, but they're yummy. Sometimes I but coffee from the coffee machine on cold days because it's hot and cheaper, but it's not very nice and the machine is *always* broken - and our year coordinator hates coffee so much we're not allowed to buy it on school excursions and he cbf fixing the coffee machine. At home, I just have boring old dark roast instant coffee. Actually, it was medium roast but now it's dark roast - I don't do the shopping, I just drink whatever's there.

This is a new recipe I've made - it's a...an iced mocha latte, I suppose. Actually, it's not normally very cold because I don't normally like putting ice in coffee - it goes all watery, which is why I have chillers and not coffee on the rocks at Gloria Jeans but I can't make chillers at home. But I put too much hot water in it the last time I made it so I had to put a couple of ice cubes in there, but they melted and it tasted funny.

Anyhoo, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
Enough instant coffee for one person
A very big glass - well, not huge, but oh whatevs. My glass is pretty big, but you might not like so much milk.
Milk
Sugar
Boiling water
Chocolate powder (hot chocolate or Nesquik or Milo or WHATEVS)
Ice, if wanted - make iceblocks out of milk - if possible, never tried it before - if you don't want it all watery.

I use full cream milk, because you add water already, and if you add iceblocks than it's really watery, but...if you really care about your waistline more than your tastebuds, use skim.

Recipe:

Put coffee and half a teaspoon each of chocolate powder and sugar into glass. Add a tiny bit of hot water and stir. Add milk. Add ice. Done.

No comments: