"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, November 09, 2012

Video Friday: You Can't Be a Princess

Why do we force gender roles onto children? Why are we so horrified by boys in princess costumes and girls who want to be Spiderman?

When I was growing up my mother had almost no concept of gender roles and I am a better person for it. I had fluffy impractical faux-pearl dresses and blue/red/black tracksuits with Bananas in Pyjamas on them. I had dolls and I had action figures. My third birthday present was a big Buzz Lightyear. I don't know whether it was because I had a sister and no brothers but I was never taught by my parents that girls can/can't do certain things and boys can/can't do other things. I was taught that by society.

In the end, I am a very feminine person. I love dresses and makeup and sparkly things. But if I wasn't...so what?

No comments: