"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bieber Fever

Mood: weirded out
Listening to: 'Baby' by Justin Bieber, Live @ Sunrise Australia
Hungry for: milk.
Bella says: 'daddy's seat is so warmm.....'

Okay, so I said that my school is...not that enthusiastic about Justin Bieber.

Clearly, it's another story for a lot of other Australian teenagers.

People flew from all across Australia to see Justin Bieber at his only live performance in Australia to date, in Sydney - just to give you an idea how big a pilgrimage that is, Sydney is FIVE HOURS FLIGHT away from Perth, which is where I live - you can get to Singapore on a similar-lengthed flight - and the police kind of underestimated Bieber Fever a little bit. Eight girls were taken to hospital, mostly for hyperventilation, and about 5,000 teenagers crowded to wherever he was meant to perform live, on stage, bashing down barriers and struggling with police. Eventually, to their outrage, his outdoor performance was cancelled and J.B. had to perform indoors on the set of Sunrise, which is this...talkshow thing that is on every weekday morning, and wave and kiss and do whatever celebrities do, through the windows, because it was considered too dangerous for him to go outside.

I mean, this is crazy. I like Justin Bieber a lot, but there's no way I would fly all the way to Sydney during a school term just to go see him...maybe if it was a one-on-one meeting, but not to be one of the many screaming hyperventilating psychos. And I mean, live performances never sound good. They're in an unfamiliar environment, without the digital altering and the leeway to make slip ups and what not. I mean, popstars on stage just sound like normal people - because that is really what they are, just normal people. I don't think screaming fan girls really understand that. I think they've succeeded in scaring Justin Bieber away from Australia for good, though.

P.S. I've just noticed one of the polls is really stupid - who on earth would admit they'd rather be pretty and dumb? Regina George?

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

I was hoping you would write about Bieber Fever.

Yes, it is a pilgrimage and a rite of passage.

Stuffies like me who would insist on "proper concert behaviour" would never get it.

(PS: About "pretty and dumb". It was a hard choice!)

Had reason to read about Sunrise. It's possible they're starting a book club. Another reason to get up in the morning!