"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Monday, October 05, 2015

Why are we so quick to judge people who love their abusers? Love, by definition, is loving someone as they are; and there is something really admirable about that, to love something as deeply flawed as another human being. I don't know why we are so quick to judge that.

The burden should not be on people to fall out of love with the people that hurt them; so many people have tried to coax and goad and guilt me into falling out of love, to deny feelings, and it nearly broke me. The real challenge is to recognise and accept that when someone hurts you, they no longer love you.

Your feelings are your own. Own them and value them and always be proud that you can love so recklessly and try, very hard, to never let that go.

No comments: