"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Hellooooooooo everyboday!

England.

Food.

Score.

The food in Turkey - I won't bull about it. It was horrible. Here food is...goood.

I'm blogging in the middle of the night - seriously, it's 1:51am - at my uncle's place about an hour and a half out of London. My little baby cousin, Elaine, who's only two, is crying in the background with a pineapple tongue, poor thing. Dennis, who's five, is upstairs - he crashed first at about eleven - and Cynthia, my other cousin and Dennis and Elaine's eldest sister, is fast asleep on the couch - she's nearly eight but is smaller than the five year old.

I love it here - but I hate the weather. It's meant to be summer, for goodness sake. I mean, I know I can't expect baking hot suns with icy cold mocktails on a sparkling pristine beach (Australiaaaa....) but, you know, you would expect something a bit over 15 degrees (59 fahrenheit).

Gah. Good luck.

Why am I blogging in the middle of the night? Well, we're leaving to Scotland in about an hour (to dodge the morning traffic and to get there before nightfall, because it takes forever) and in theory we're meant to keep the kids up until we're about to go so that they'll fall asleep in the car and won't fuss. In theory. In practice one's screaming and the other two - well, three including my sister - are fast asleep, and all five of us are going to be completely gaga on the way to Scotland.

We just got here the day before yesterday, so we haven't seen much - we've done quite a bit of shopping but that's it really. I'll keep you updated on that later.

To wrap up my broadcast from Turkey - very exciting. On the day of my last post I was checked in to the hospital (if I don't get any comments than you guys seriously don't love me anymore) because I stopped responding to painkillers and my mum was freaked out. The taxi dumped us in the middle of nowhere so we had to walk about half of the way to the hospital, where they said I had a throat infection. Then they sent me to have a blood test.

For those of you who don't know. I hate pins. Hate, hate, hate. I hate pins more than my ****** teacher and MW and my ex boyfriend and those bitches who's life goal is to spread every fake rumour about me to the entire cosmos. I hate, hate, HATE pins.

Do you know why? Well, here's why. I spend a lot of time in hospital - every time I come down with a fever at some inconvenient time and the local doctor is shut, I wind up in hospital. Hospital means pins and needles and scary equipment and lumpy beds and horrible food and muted, censored TVs. Hospital means pins.

That's why I hate pins.

Last year everyone found it very amusing to take off their Student Council badges and tease me with them - I'm not sure what they found so funny, because pins make me scream and cry and when I scream and cry it's not a pretty sight. Very mature Student Councillors. One of them was BSC.

I finally got the bloodtest, and I hated every minute of it - I don't know why they tell kids that these things don't hurt when they do - violation of youth rights, honestly - and in the end there was nothing bloody wrong with my bloody blood. So I had to do all that shit for nothing.

Then they said I needed antibiotics and painkillers for my throat infection - and that the antibiotics could be one needle or a full course of oral tablets. I was all in for the tablets until mum tried to convince me to get the jab. I don't know how she did it - it involved lots of Gloria Jeans, I think, and then I finally agreed.

I hated it. Hate, hate, hate. They spray this awful things on your ass - yeah, I got the jab on my bum, how primitive - that's meant to numb the skin. Bloody didn't work.

I'll spare you the gory details, but I was glad when it was over. Actually, no I wasn't, because they said they weren't gonna jab me and then they jabbed me as they said it, so I was peeved off and in pain - but anyways, back to the story.

The next day - under the influence of Advil - we went to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topaki Palace.

Topaki Palace is this huge, ancient castle done in the classic Ottoman style, that used to be the home of the Sultans. The Blue Mosque is also Ottoman, and is one of the biggest and grandest mosques -and it's still a working mosque. It was calm, peaceful and quiet in there. Hagia Sophia is a church turned mosque turned museum - with Helenistic, modern, ancient and Ottoman bits and pieces everywhere. So cool.

Then we went to the Bazaars - The Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market, or the Egyptian Bazaare. We heard so many bad things about the Grand Bazaar - of pickpockets and bagslashers and cheats and bagsnatchers -that we walked straight through, clutching our bags for dear life. The shop keepers were overly polite it was rude and very forward. The Spice Market was much more enjoyable, so we bought trinkets and Turkish Delight - yes Maddie, there's a box for you - and Turkish tea.

Then all the boring stuff, went back to the hotel, fell asleep, woke up, packed, checked out, boarded the plane...and now we're in England.

More soon. I love you guys.

1 comment:

Morgapedia said...

Oh my gosh!!!! England!!!! I always wanted to go to England (and Scotland, as I am Scottish)!! Wish I was there! Turkey sounds awesome too!!

That sucks, abut you getting mysteriously sick and having to get poked. I don't have any issues with needles, but still. Not fun. :(