"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, February 12, 2010

Men in Lingerie Stores

Mood: dead beat
Listening to: 'One Less Lonely Girl' by Justin Bieber (someone must sing that for me one day. That would be the ultimate Valentine's day present)
Hungry for: ramen noodles. Korean ramen noodles are the best - they're like instant noodles, but in flavours like kimchi and claypot and udon, not wussy flavours like chicken. Oh, and the packets are like, supersized compared to the midget Maggi ones.

I hate lingerie stores. I mean, the stuff they sell pretty much puts the women's liberation movement back about a hundred years. I mean, most sane women don't buy naughty nurse costumes on Halloween or black lace on Valentines Day.

But, sometimes, lingerie stores are unavoidable - just one of the many inconveniences of being a women. And it's kind of embarassing, being seen in a store selling stuff that is normally covered by jeans and sweatshirts.

But I hate, hate, hate men in lingerie stores. And there is always at least one of them in there, trailing after their girlfriend who's lost her head (who on earth would let a man follow you into a lingerie store?) poking around. It's disgusting and embarassing. I mean, you don't let men into the female bathrooms, so why should they go into a lingerie store? It's revolting. They take bras off the hangers and squeeze them, or run their fingers through piles of lace. I can't touch or try on or even contemplate buying anything I see a guy touch, and most other women in the store feel the same.

I think men should be barred from entering lingerie stores, just like they're barred from female toilets. It's not sexist or anything, it's just revolting! As far as I know guys don't have anything that private to buy, so I can't make comparisons, but I guess you could say that seeing a man in a lingerie store is like seeing a full-grown man in the women's conveniences. Not nice. And men don't need anything in lingerie stores for themselves, and I personally say that if any boyfriend of mine bought me lingerie I wouldn't be very impressed. There are more sensible things, to buy in more sensible places, for a loved one.

Maybe I'm being overly conservative, and if anyone reads this from my school rumours are going to go around that I'm frigid. I don't care. I may be a wild child, but I just think the Y chromosone shouldn't really be in lingerie stores. Male staff in lingerie stores are even worse, but don't let me get started on that.

Please send all hate mail to chiyoko.hine@gmail.com under the subject 'Lady Renegade is effed up'. Thank you.

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

So you'd like your potential significant other to sing you the Justin Bieber song you mentioned?

And those big noodle packets: delish! (Yes, chicken is a bit woosy, compared to kimchi. In our house there are various Indonesian packets of noodles which have sinus-clearing flavours).

I probably prefer my noodles quite plain, or with beef or something like this. Sometimes even tomato!

slippi said...

What if a man wants to buy lingerie for himself?