"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Parents Interfering

Mood: tired
Listening to: 'Hypocrite' by Skye Sweetnam
Hungry for: dinner...still...

There are many kids at my school who transfer out of courses constantly - and it's not because they make lots of bad choices. It's because parents, as usual, are being their usual busybodying self, and forced them to do courses that they don't want to do.

I know my parents, for example, won't force me to do something ridiculous, like Elite Maths, because it would make my life an utter misery. My parents are not so narrow minded as to limit my career options to being a doctor or a lawyer, like the parents of lots of kids I know do.

I mean, I see kids in Economics class quite literally banging their heads on the table with frustration. I see people at the back of Music, flicking bits of paper at the teacher. These people are not only learning nothing, they're affecting the learning of others who might actually want to learn.

So parents are not being very considerate here - they're not considerate about their own kids, or others. What kind of example is that to set for us?

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Grrr.

And one of the written (and unwritten) rules of most schools is not to interfere with your own or another student's learning.

It would be well if the parents followed that rule, at least while their children were in the school environment and doing things there.

That is not always the case!

I don't think I received much guidance than to do the things I was interested in and good at and stick to them.

And aren't there things which might allow you to withdraw before a month has passed, without penalty?

How do you know that people are not learning?