"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, January 22, 2012

the cuckoo has to leave the nest someday.

I often wish I was more patriotic than I am. I wish I had that kind of desperate love for my country, the profound desire to live and die in service of my homeland. But I don't. I appreciate that Australia is a good place to live, but my connection is cool, detached, and easily breakable.

I've often attributed my cynicism to being a second-generation immigrant. As an immigrant, you see the opportunities and abundance of a new, wealthy nation. But juxtaposed with this is the problems of being born here, but not really belonging. The flaws have more significance to you, and are deeper and more troubling than they are to other people. I see a society enjoying a pleasant facade of peace and security, but ever so close to breaking point. I see little tiny cracks in the system that are hushed up, ready to become full blown faults ready to send the whole institution crumbling.

Optimistic, huh?

My mother comes from Singapore, and from her side I am descended from Cantonese peasants - people who were born as nobodies and died as nobodies. Their lives, loves, tragedies...none of it is known. My father comes from South Korea, and from that side I am descended from Korean nobility. My Korean ancestors are people who wrote history - ministers, generals, the wives and mothers of kings. It's a very strange mix.

My paternal family is very patriotic - most Koreans are. Everything is bigger, better, and Korean. The Koreans are very proud of their rich cultural heritage, their people and the challenges they have overcome - and so they should. My grandfather has spent his whole life upholding the family name and traditional Korean principles, marred somewhat by his youngest son's marriage to a Singaporean woman. My grandfather is a true pater patriae, and he gets much of his strength from that. At nearly eighty, he's hardly young, but he's full of energy as he dashes around, spending his retirement doing what he loves. I wish I had that kind of zeal. My dad is the first person from our line to leave Korea to create a life of his own.

My mother, however, comes from a family of wanderers. They left Canton for Singapore. My mother and her siblings have left Singapore for the world - America, Germany, England, Australia, Malaysia, China. Some came back, others left for good.

My mother is a wanderer. Singapore never clicked for her. It's her story, but she left and built her own life for herself. Built a career, got married, started a family. Starting from the bottom, working her way up.

I want to do that. I want to leave and start again. It has little to do with how good or bad Australia is. I am a wanderer, like my mother, like her ancestors. I want to be reborn. And maybe, I'll find a place where I can truly be a patriot.      

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

The key words there are probably "live", "die" and "service" (and I'm thinking "service" the verb, not the "in service" part of the sentence).

At this time of the year, I've seen a lot of Australia Day articles, especially one when the people would be turning 21 for that day or for this year.

Another thought: it can be easier to be attached to a city, a region, a state, or a borderline between two states.

Your mother and siblings are an impressive set of wanderers! I can see that they might have used Singapore as a launchpad for what they were going to do and be.

What a lot of horizons and perspectives there!

Thinking a lot of threads and snares. The plants which "hook a ride".

The Koreans do have 6000 years (at least) of heritage.

(Would love to guess at some of the loves, tragedies, lives).

And your strength may be your capacity to wish. The wandering spirit is a precious thing.

"I want to be reborn. And maybe, I'll find a place where I can truly be a patriot."

(Try and think how patriots find and question their patriotism).

(Many Australian flaws are obvious, and, yes, their significance is various).

A book or series to recommend: Anna Jacobs The Trader's Wife. I read nine chapters of it and the connections and commitments the characters had (Isabella and Bram in particular) were great. I also enjoyed the way the Singaporean traders were portrayed, especially Li and his sense of opportunity.

She talks about learning about history through photos.

Anna Jacobs shares her plans for 2012 and her books on her personal website