"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Accidents

Mood: cold
Listening to: 'My Happy Ending' by Avril Lavigne
Hungry for: horlicks!
Bella says: 'Cold, curl up into tight ball....even colder, curl up into an even tighter ball...'

People rely too much on accidents.

Accidents are actually quite helpful, you know. How to sound modest after your ship comes in? 'It was an accident'. How to not look like a tard after something goes massive kapoof in your face? 'It was an accident'.

People contribute everything to accidents. Career boosts, moments when dreams come true, winning something huge. If you don't, then you have an ego problem. Society wants us all to be klutzes and just trip into life.

I may be a klutz when it comes to me and not knocking over things, but I'm not a klutz at life. When things go bad, then they're my fault, or they're events out of my control - like, things genuinely out of my control, like the fact I was born with congenital heart defects. When things go right, then it's all me and my beautiful family. No accidents.

Oh, and, of course, teenage pregnancies are all 'accidents'. What kind of bull is that? Do babies fall out of the sky? 'Woops' said God 'I musta dropped that one a bit too early'? A bad choice made when young and boozy is still a choice. Sure, accidents happen. But that wasn't an accident.

Life is not an accident. Fame and fortune is not an accident. Shit isn't an accident. Most things in our world are not accidental, so we've got to stop pretending they are. I'm sick of people contributing things, both good and bad, of their own doing, to be the work of God, of nature, of accidents, of karma, fortune, luck. It's not. We are human beings and life is the beautiful gift we are bestowed with, and trusting it to any of these non-existant, fleeting and untrustworthy things is like throwing a baby off a roof and just hoping that someone will catch it. The only way your baby - your life - is going to be safe and productive is when it is safe in your arms, under your care, always in your sight. Blaming and contributing things to stuff like religion, booze and luck is not taking responsibility for you and yours.

Take the pain, feel the pain, live life, love life.

2 comments:

Kirsty Murray said...

Hey you tempestuous gal, was great to work with you Wednesday. Keep the words working.

Adelaide Dupont said...

When you say "contribute" (though that is a valid word in this context) don't you mean "attribute"? I know they both do rhyme.

The content is good, and it's good to see you take responsibility for both the good and bad in your life, and acknowledge connections.

And most of all that life is beautiful!