"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, June 20, 2010

There's Not Much a Girl Can Depend On

There's not much a girl can depend on,
These days,
Nothing in this world makes things go our way.
How can we trust ourselves,
When we're so easily swayed,
Too easily discouraged,
Too vulnerable, I say.
How can we trust that we'll stay strong through it all,
When so many things go wrong?

There's not much a girl can depend on,
These days,
No-one in this world does what we say.
How can we trust our friends,
When they gossip that way,
When they backstab,
Lie,
Bitch, as they say.
How can we trust they'll help us through anything,
When they're as likely to shoot us as smile at us?

There's not much a girl can depend on,
These days,
Nobody helps us keep our troubles at bay.
How can we trust men,
When they so easily go astray,
You say I'm being unfair,
But I've got history to turn against you,
My only weapon, I say.
How can we trust they'll stay true,
When not even sacred marriage means anything to anyone but me or you?

There's not much a girl can depend on,
These days,
The world seems against us,
Our great enemy in this endless fray.
We cannot even help each other,
Let alone ourselves.
We can fight until the end of time,
But when will this injustice end?
Is it an impossible nirvana,
Or a sanctuary just around the river's bend?

No comments: