"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Masquerade

Now Playing: Begin Again by Taylor Swift (turn the lock and put my headphones on, he always said he didn't get this song but I do)

If you ever see me floating around uni I think I pass quite convincingly as a uni student. I say that because...it all feels like a dream. I remember being in year six just wishing it was over, wallowing in the sheer misery that I had six more years to go. Through the ups and downs of school, the good times and the bad...it just seemed never-ending, right up until the very last day. I can't say I entirely enjoyed my schooling, but I didn't fully hate it, either.

But now I've been spat out too soon and too late all at once, into...uni. Uni is a whole other ball of wax, but I feel kind of other, like I don't belong, like I'm an intruder. I feel like I'm masquerading as a student, not quite one of the rest yet. Every day I feel like this is going to end, and I'll be kicked back to where I belong.

I'm not saying university is easy or brilliant, either. It's boiling hot and the campus is huge and very easy to get lost in. Student services is somewhat lacking, if not entirely nonexistent, and classes are scheduled and cancelled at random. Lectures are huge and confusing. Books are absurdly expensive and there are old faces everywhere - for better or for worse. But I like it.

I wish I could stay. The coolest thing is that, for now, that wish has been granted.


No comments: