"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

But You're Asian.

So?

Whenever someone says 'So, what's your favourite subject at school?' I immediately say English, unless I'm stoned and say something completely stupid, like Science. It makes perfect sense for me to like English the best - I love literature and poetry and creative writing, and I'm pretty damn good at it - I'm not showing off, because I got the statistics to prove it. And to level out the ballgame, I just failed Science.

See? Perfect logic. I like English because I'm good at it.

Some people, however, do not see my brilliant logic. This complete look of blank confusion flickers over their face, and they say 'But you're Asian!'

And? So? Being Asian doesn't mean I'm any good at Maths and Science or that I have to like them. Being Asian doesn't mean that I can't kick your ass when it comes to English and get my ass kicked in return when it comes to anything else.Being Asian doesn't mean I feed exclusively on kung pow chicken and mu shu pork, neither of which I have actually tried before. Being Asian doesn't mean I'm an acne-ridden computer nerd that goes around with double-cuffed pants and centre part ponytails or gross things like that.

I'm Asian. And an English student.

That actually kind of sounds good together.

No comments: