"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Monday, June 20, 2011

I don't really have a reputation for being a shallow person. Shallowness is really only acceptable in pretty people. And I live up to my reputation, really, I do. I know too much, I talk too much, I think too much, I see too much and I eat too much. I'm the beautiful soul, deeply wise inner-foodie...and I'm head over heels in love with that dude in J.Lo's new music video.

People find it weird that I dig six packs. People find it weird I have any kind of sexuality or attraction at all, actually. It's like I can be an encyclopedia or a human being, but not both. I'm fifteen, for crying out loud. The boy meets girl instinct has thoroughly kicked in.

I'm not a shallow person - I wouldn't marry someone for his abs (not that anyone with abs would marry me, as so many people have so very kindly pointed out). But I wouldn't say no....;)

Sometimes I think people don't see me as a girl at all. But I've always been a cheeky kid, and that's translated into weird things as I've grown older. But whatever people think of me, platonicity (it is a word. look it up) messes with their head. You can have boobs and brains, you know, and as I've become more and more aware of that people have become more and more afraid of me. Cliches are cliches because we all want them, deep down.

Shallowness is only bad by itself. When you're someone like me with so much more to offer, the occasional superficial daydream really isn't going to hurt nobody.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

If you have a reputation for grabbing the muchness of life and it is acknowledged and validated, hooray! And if you're living up to it, double hooray!

Marc Antony?

"I don't really have a reputation for being a shallow person."

"But I've always been a cheeky kid, and that's translated into weird things as I've grown older."

(Better platonicity than platinum! Can see how it would be irritating/annoying).

And especially this!

(Loved the sentence about boobs and brains).

"Cliches are cliches because we all want them, deep down."

(I also liked the connection between shallowness and fear. If we fear shallowness more than we fear the deep, then that says a lot about us).

Shallowness is neither good nor bad by itself. It isn't a moral quality.

And platonicity? It's a way to keep self-respect and dignity. It shows what they have to offer when you have so much more (than shallowness) to offer.

Sexuality and attraction follows from all the other qualities. And, yes, they permeate them!

Taleb did say: "Go to parties. Especially author parties". In fact I have a lot of clues and hints written down from Taleb.

And someone talked about "being a sucker" for a Platonic form.

I know you've addressed principles of the ludic fallacy before. Chance only being games and dice and things.

Simple is different from shallow. And shallow is complex! That's what I learnt today!