"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Saturday, July 09, 2011

The Music War.

I studied music for nearly ten years, since I was five. Now I no longer study formally, but music is still a huge part of my life.

I love classical music. I love Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry. I love Queen and Paramore and Blue King Brown and the Black Eyed Peas. I love the Phantom of the Opera and Yiruma. Some bands I only like one or two songs: Evernescence (or however you spell it), The Goo Goo Dolls, The Calling, Lady Antebellum. My music love spans, literally, centuries.

I can't stand people from other eras picking on 'modern music'. Modern music is always crap to old ears. I'm not a cheaper or a tackier or a shallower person for listening to Katy Perry and Queen and loving them both. Taylor Swift is just as romantic as Grieg.

Music is the must beautiful and subjective art. We can't be expected to love it all, but I shouldn't be made to feel like I shouldn't be listening to what I love.

No comments: