"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Green Light

I can see the green light
I can see it in your eyes
I can see the green light
I can see it in your eyes

Across the harbour
A drop in the rivers of 
Fear and insecurity

You're a hard soul to save
With an ocean in the way 

Why...
I smell like my mother
Coffee and mothballs but
I don't feel like her
I don't have her strength
Fifty years of children and weariness
I don't have that
But 
I still feel
Broken

You used to be so
So warm 
My mirror, my sword, my shield
I crawled into your open arms
And cried

Why...
We keep up this charade
As if people care about us, and not just you
I know you're trying to teach me
To be forgiving
But I don't know if you're merciful
Or
Forgetful

I'm a writer, my dear
I cannot forget anything

Memories are pennies
And I am a woman.
I must earn my keep. 

Trust is stronger than love,
Thicker than blood
But so easily lost (never, I fear, to return?)
And so often
Taken for granted

I have heard it all, seen it all
I try to believe you, but not today

They were like chocolate
Warm, and sweet
Soft, and forgiving
Trusting, and understanding

Cloying and just out of reach

But now I can see
I can see you
I can see it
Inviting and sinister

A remembrance of a time and place
That, I think, only exists in my heart
A reminder of all that is not mine 

I can see the green light
I can see it in your eyes
I can see the green light
I can see it in your eyes 

Inspired by Over the Love by Florence + The Machine
Click here for a discussion of Green Light  

No comments: