"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Things you learn when you've written 47,204 words of a book that may never be liked or published.

I'm sorry if I've been neglecting my blog a bit lately. It's just that books are very time consuming.

And I've learned a lot, 47,000 words after I came up with the idea.

Where am I up to? Almost the end. By almost I mean that I could summarize the rest of the story in my head in about six seconds, explain it to you in about six hours, and it may take me six days or six weeks or six months or six years to actually write it all down.

I've learned that writing is exhausting. I've run a cross country and felt less exhausted then I do at the moment.

I've learned that writing needs to be constantly, constantly edited. I don't believe in writing something and then re-writing the whole lot - you lose a lot of charm that way. But chapters must be read and reread, things added and things taken.

I've learned that it's a lot easier to love fictional characters then real men, especially fictional characters who are the love interests of the character that is based on you.

I've learned that watching movies is a lifesaver when you write. The trick to not look copy-cat is to read as many books and watch as many movies and listen to as many songs as you can in a very small space of time - that way they all get nicely jumbled in your brain and that jumble becomes your story.

I've learned that when people say 'EEEEEEW' about the idea, you shouldn't take it personally.

I've learned that you will never feel safe about your story despite saving it in five different files on your computer, your USB and your email account.

I've learned just how annoying it is to get your best ideas at three in the morning/at dinner/when you're supposed to be folding the laundry/when your dog is attempting to pee on the carpet/when you wake up and realize that you never managed to change into your nightgown before falling asleep/after breakfast and you really should brush your teeth/when your face is covered in soap bubbles/in the shower before you've rinsed out the shampoo (the result is a wet computer and sticky hair).

I've learned that it is very hard to put your characters through pain, when you love them so much.

I've learned that my many years of merciless abuse at the hands of some particular blondes (I don't think the colour of their hair was a factor, just a coincidence) has made EVERY SINGLE VILLAIN in my story WHITE BLONDE.

I've learned that...writing is the purest, happiest joy I have ever experienced. Screw boyfriends - let me write, anytime.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Big wow!

Fantastic work.

And I emphasise that the WORK is the important thing.

I agree about never feeling safe with stories, especially with the modern technology we have.

Do have some security experiences.

I was wondering: do you find that love interests expand the scope for the story a lot?

(This may seem - on the surface - a silly question. But when I was young I didn't especially write stories with love interests, and the one I did was for special ocassions. Also, since I was young, my view of love has expanded. Think of the six Greek words for love and the love languages).

And one of the best/most interesting things you've learnt I'll put right here:

"I've learned just how annoying it is to get your best ideas at three in the morning/at dinner/when you're supposed to be folding the laundry/when your dog is attempting to pee on the carpet/when you wake up and realize that you never managed to change into your nightgown before falling asleep/after breakfast and you really should brush your teeth/when your face is covered in soap bubbles/in the shower before you've rinsed out the shampoo (the result is a wet computer and sticky hair)."