"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Thursday, October 28, 2010

When you get older you get bolder. People matter less and less to you.

In a way this is good, because with this attitude I'll be less likely to repeat a BSC or K saga, which are things you never really get over. If all girls are born white, then boys like the above turn you a nasty shade of grey - but that's why real women are silver, because they take that and learn from it and make themselves shine in spite of it.

But in some ways this is bad. When I was little I cared a lot more for other people, believe it or not. Now...sometimes I feel like when people care so little for me I don't see any reason why I should care for them. Not everybody agrees with this, but I do. Love only only those who love you - or, maybe, just don't love who hates you.

But as you get bigger you realize you're not really that special anymore. Everything that is so brilliantly miraculous to you is nothing to the world. This is why I am a writer - I try and preserve those precious miracles, and change them into something that can be appreciated fully by the community. Only a child can guiltlessly enjoy a candybar - the rest of us are too worried about the high calorie content, or the fact that caramel sticks to your teeth in all sorts of tooth-decay glorious ways. But if you turn that candybar into something that indulges your mind and soul and senses without impinging on what I know as society's diet - that is the true art of writing. In this day and age where we are governed by taboos and social norms, we can no longer experience and fully appreciate these little miracles - but a writer can, and a writer will endure all to make sure you can too.

No comments: