"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Some People Are Gay. Get Over It.

So, there is this English charity that's making a stand against homophobia. The message? some people are gay. Get over it.

One thing I should make clear is that I'm not gay, and I would prefer if I don't get homophobic comments or death threats because I'm not even gay, anyway. Because of this, people often ask 'So why do you care so much about gays anyway?' The answer? I feel sorry for those kids dying of AIDS and malaria. I'm not one of them, but I can still feel sorry for them.

It's disgusting in this day and age that we can't get over something that really should be private, anyway. Who cares if someone is gay, straight or bi? It doesn't bother anyone. As far as I know gays haven't done anything against us straight people so I don't know why we are so against them. It's like being born with brown hair or blue eyes - people are born gay.

I was looking through the youtube comments on Katy Perry's 'Firework' video, which features a gay man coming out and kissing another man in a pub as one of the 'fireworks', and people were being so homophobic, saying that it was against God and a sin and that as a public figure Katy Perry shouldn't be advocating it. Recent studies show that nearly all mammal species have evidence of gay numbers, so it's quite clearly not going against nature or God or being or whatever. Being gay is not a sin, just like being Asian is not a sin and being a woman is not a sin. Why do I feel like in this day and age you still have to be white and straight and male to get things your way? In fact, that's not even true. Not even white and straight males get it their way, because there's always going to be something against anyone that they can't change.

More people in the 'Some People Are Gay. Get Over It' campaign:


nerimon


charlieissocoollike

And so, I now have a Stonewall icon where you can donate to this anti-homophobia charity - I would myself but I don't have any money for gay people or otherwise. Wah.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

You are an ally and that is the most precious thing in the world.

The trouble is, it's very tricky to do right and rewarding when it is done right.