"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, November 12, 2010

Treat boat people like real people.

It is disgusting that Australia treats boat people worse than we treat murderers.

Australia is scared of boat people - they're scared of uneducated, desperate, poor people who just want a better life. We are pathetic.

Treat boat people like real people. We gave that man who drowned his bride 18 months for manslaughter. We give some boat people nearly a decade behind bars just for wanting a life.

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Yes.

I feel disgust and outrage also.

Murderers take lives, whereas many fear that refugees (regardless of how they come) take jobs.

Because I respect that refugees want better lives than the ones they escape or have been persecuted in, I am not prejudiced against people smugglers either.

Remember that refugees have given a great deal to society.

One example is probably Frank Lowy, whose story I read this morning. The outlines of it are well-known.

No, it is not right that the bride's life should have been treated as expendable, which is what an 18-month-long sentence suggests. (Were there any mitigating circumstances involved?)

While that man could be rehabilitated, and others deterred, I am not so sure about the scars of the refugees.

There is a reason immigration detention is called detention.

Adelaide Dupont said...

And I would like to point out briefly that not all boat people are uneducated, desperate or poor. (If this feeds into prejudice ...) And the "better life" narrative, while simple, is only one reason they come to Australia.

So I would not accept that premise uncritically.

What makes "them and us" attractive? Fear. Right on the spot there, Lady Renegade.