"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, October 17, 2008

Obsessions

I swear, this is the last post I will do about me. The rest will be about events and funny things and sad things and stuff like normal blogs.

This last post about me is about my obsessions, and other people's vendettas against them.

I have crazy obsessions - a lot of them. I'm a researcher by heart (which is why I joined Wikipedia - everything is on it) and I have to research one subject at a time - I go crazy just researching random things.

My first obsession, when I was about eight, was Elizabeth I. I was crazy about Elizabeth - I was going through a 'girl power' stage at that time, and I thought she was pretty cool. Researching is one of my other talents - I could grasp adult texts at a very early age - and I was poring over books about Elizabeth, Bloody Mary, Henry VIII and of course, his six wives, Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn (my personal favourite out of them all), Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr. Books, websites, encyclopaedias, videos - all sorts of media. People were surprised that I did it purely for fun, for enjoyment, just for the sake of staving of boredom, and that I researched with such enthusiasm.

Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I remain one of my many idols to this day.

My second obsession was Pirates of the Caribbean. My sister was flipping through channels and came across a replay of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and told me that I might like it.

Wrong. I loved it.

I wanted to know everything there was to know about Pirates of the Caribbean. I watched every movie with fanatical enthusiasm, worshipped all the actors gleefully and meticulously annalyzed every aspect of every part of the story. My mother, who had to put up with me recounting the exact events of Anne Boleyn's imprisonment and execution, was now bombarded with the history of Jack Sparrow.

I do feel very sorry for my mother.

I dreamed of playing Sao Feng's daughter in the fourth installment, which I hoped against hope, prayed against prayer would arrive soon. I was a complete fanatic.

I was obsessed with the Will Turner - Elizabeth Swann fan videos on YouTube as well - some of them were quite good. From 'Willabeth' videos I started watching Elizabeth Swann videos, from them I started watching Keira Knightley videos.

It was then I came across a video of Keira Knightley's scenes as the Queen's decoy, Sabe, in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. I had no idea she had been in Star Wars - the only thing I knew about Star Wars was my teacher briefly mentioning something about 'Jedi' and the classic 'Luke, I am your father' quote. The clips didn't make a lot of sense to me - clips taken from all parts of the film compressed into one video would hardly make a lot of sense to anyone. But I read. And read. And became obsessed. Again.

Star Wars filled my world - particularly the prequel trilogy. I got teased silly by it, which is sort of ironic seeing as most of the boys at school are obsessed with Star Wars as well. I wasn't interested in the Clone Wars or Jedi Starfighters or that side of Star Wars - I am a girl, and I was instinctively attracted to the beautiful forbidden love story between Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala, like all girls would be. Soon Natalie Portman joined my steadily growing list of idols, and I was hitting on Hayden Christensen in a way that should be illegal.

My Star Wars obsession lingers on slightly today, as does my Tudor Dynasty obsession. But my biggest obsession at the moment is Twilight.

Twilight is a young adult horror/romance book saga by American novelist Stephenie Meyer, about a young girl who falls irrevocably in love with a vampire. To cut a long and exciting story short, she is suddenly swept into a world where your worst nightmares and best dreams become a heightened reality, and she must chose between her human life, a life with the beautiful immortals or with another, just as daunting mythical creature.

I came across this obsession also via my sister, who had friends who were obsessed with the series and encouraged her to check it out. I was hooked - in more ways than one - and I'm still obsessed with the entire series, although I do have a soft spot for Edward Cullen and Jasper Hale.

So next time someone is obsessed with something so strange you just have to laugh, stop yourself.

What if you suddenly find yourself caught up in a strange obssession?

6 comments:

chamal said...

Interesting obsessions... I've never heard of one person having so many :)

So now that you've decided not to do too much socializing at Wikipedia, and Wikination seems to be dead (saw something about that on your and La Pianista's talk pages), I suppose you won't be needing those userboxes? They are in my sandbox if you need them though.

Anonymous said...

Which userboxen? Oh, the Royal Militia ones. Naw, although thanks for your hard work. You don't have to do any, but if you want something to do if you're bored, my new userpage has a lists of tasks - you get a barnstar for each one.

chamal said...

Just saw that you had said you wanted the rule changed. This is a bad idea, and rules cannot be changed without proper consensus. Please forget everything about your past block, since things like that are more likely to get you in trouble than anything else. And don't write stuff like that on your userpage; it'll look like you're thinking of going back to how you were editing before, and that you are not going to change as you promised.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree with Chamal. It's probably best to remove that part.

Anonymous said...

Chill, guys, I've removed it

Anonymous said...

So you like Star Wars? Have a look at this... quite clever really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIZDWYV86ho&feature=related
PS I love twilight too!