"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tralalala...dancing...

Okay, because I'm graduating, we have to learn...

Ballroom dancing!

We don't have a great fancy ball at a great fancy hall and everyone wears a great fancy dress with a great fancy (deadly) corset and laugh at the boys wearing tuxedos.

No, we have a dinner dance, which is where we all dance and have supper in the local hall.

So yeah, not so grand. But it sounds pretty fun.

I've already bought my dress - well, it's a hand-me-down from my sister, who is pretty drop-dead gorgeous and has lots of drop-dead-gorgeous clothes, so the dress is pretty something. It's red, with a gold and red-rhinstone neckpiece that goes around my neck, and it slinks down my body, accenting all my good features and hiding all the bad parts. I've paired it with copper-and-cork wedge heels and I'm planning to borrow a curler or find some way to curl my hair, so I'm going to look as hot as a plain girl can get.

That's the fun part. The not-so-fun part is the dancing.

Okay, I'll admit it, ballroom dancing is very fun. But it's awkward, which kills some of the fun. I mean, I have lots of guyfriends (guyfriends not boyfriends - there is a difference) and I laugh and chat and hang out with them just like I do with my girlfriends. But to have them, like, uber-close, holding one of their hands and having the other far too close to your butt than is naturally comfortable is a little...

strange.

So far we've learned a barndance and half of a salsa, both of which are pretty straightforward except for a 'whirlie' (where both partners do a three-sixty and become far too close for comfort in the process) and a 'spinner' (where the girl spins whilst the guy attempts to continue dancing).

Most guys are okay at dancing - apart from the obvious reluctance that is a defining characteristic of the Y-chromosone. The tall guys that you get along with okay or sort-of okay are the best guys to dance with. You're not taller than them (in fact, the best height to be is about a foot or at least a good three inches taller than the girl), you don't feel opposed to dancing as shoving bamboo splinters under your nails and you generally have a lot of fun. The guys that you hate (there is one guy in my class who I never get along with and never will) are the worst to dance with - you kind of have this permanent frown on your face and you have to resist the urge to fold your arms stubbornly or better still, slap the stupid bloke. And this one guy happens to be roughly the same size and shape of a beanbag, with flesh the same consistancy of a jellyfish, so it isn't the most pleasant experience, dancing with him, no.

And this is just dancing with the boys in our class. Imagine what it will be like dancing, in full makeup and dress and heels, with the rest of the grade.

Ew.

The thin, weedy, short guys are a little harder to dance with than the first category of boys mentioned. It's very hard to spin unless you crouch down, or, if your partner is particularly light, lift them off the ground, and you generally have to lead, which is slightly weird as all of our dances are designed so that the guy is leading. Some of the weedy boys haven't got a clue what you're doing, which is sometimes not a problem as you're leading anyway, but if you don't know what you're doing than the both of you are deep-fried. Some of the weedy guys happen to be my friends, and most of my friends are smart, so they're not so bad to dance with, apart from the obvious size-and-height ratio.

The absolute worst partner is this guy who dances as if you're going to run off on him at any minute, which is what most of the girls felt like doing after a while (we change partners every five seconds or so, so after about three seconds you start considering pulling a Houdini). He grabs your hand so tight that the tips go white and the knuckles go red, and pushes you so close, so when you do a whirlie you're practically kissing his shoulder (and making out with a guy's is really bad while you're dancing). But the worst moment is when you get to the spins - the guy is supposed to gently nudge the girl to get her spinning, not the huge slap you get from this macho-dancer. It sends you flying into the guy three partners down, which disrupts the whole dance.

So we have our four types of boys: the ones worth dancing with, the guy-that-I-can't-name-that-I-hate, the weedy boys and the violent dancer.

Dancing is so fascinating...

14 comments:

chamal said...

I probably fall into that 3rd category; the ones who don't have a clue about what they are doing. I'm just not interested in dancing (don't ask why, I don't know). After all, I play cricket, athletics and a little bit of soccer, which I guess should mean that dancing shouldn't be too difficult for me (particularly after jumping and twisting your body into all possible angles to catch the bloody ball in cricket). Maybe I was born not to dance :D

Anonymous said...

I fit the first catagory perfectly if I say so myself. I mean, Im tall, Im handsome(to Lady Renegade)and I am generally AT LEAST 3 inches taller than most of the girls. Yes I know Lady Renegade, my name is the Black Shirted CHERUB and I am Totally awesome. Im one of her "guyfriends", make her laugh all the time and I love The CHERUB books, and anyone who has a problem with that can stick a bamboo stick right up their........ I said to much didnt I.

Anonymous said...

Hey BSC (Black Shirt Cherub)

You flatter yourself far too much but yes, you do fit into the first effing category far too effing well. And you did say too much, and too is spelt 'too', not 'to'.

Love,

Lady Renegade.

P.S - How's your bonnie lass?

Anonymous said...

Lady Renegade you are the most annoying, stupid person on this whole bloody planet

Stop asking how my bonnie lass is okay

but yes she is fine

also, shes beautiful

love,

Black Shiet CHERUB

p.s.M.W is a retard
p.p.s. A big one at that
p.p.s.s Bethany is BEAUTIFUL and awesome

Anonymous said...

To everyone except Lady Renegade

Bethany is the internet name i call my girlfriend
Now just to show off.......Ive had three girls and im only twelve(2 this year!);)

cya round

AUSTRALIA ROCKS

Anonymous said...

hey silly teddy bear

since when have you been black 'shiet' cherub?

i think secret agents should have at least passed second grade spelling.

i won't ask about your 'bonnie lass' if you stop telling me how effing BEAUTIFUL she is to you! i got the message!

mw is a retard. a big retard. no wonder he's got less friends than me, which is really a huge achievement.

you are the most conceited, stuck-up, loveable guyfriend in the whole wide world.

love,
lady renegade

Anonymous said...

Lady renegade

no response to any of my comments yet, i am disgusted

anyway, im going rollerblading with Bonnie Lass on the weekend, which rocks, even though i cant rollerblade to save my life

AUSTRALIA ROCKS

BSC

p.s.Bonnie Lass is beautiful
p.p.s.really beautiful
p.p.s.s.cya round

Anonymous said...

hey my bethany-obsessed-friend

what do you mean, disgusted?

you really think making a fool of yourself in front of 'bonnie lass' on rollerskates 'rocks'?

you are really weird.

i feel REALLY sorry for your girlfriend/past girlfriends. i count myself lucky that i'm not one of them, actually.

lots of love,
Lady Renegade.

Anonymous said...

i hope it's ok that i'm jumping in here.

To Black Shirt Cherub: You sound almost exactly like my one "guy friend". Except he isn't dating yet.

To Lady Renegade: I like your new username, I forgot to tell you before. And your category 1 is exactly the same as mine would be. it's really too bad that there isn't any excuse for my spanish class to learn to tango. yet. hehe.

Anonymous said...

I learned dancing when I was three up to when I was five.

Worst two years of my life (thus far *crosses fingers*). Ballet - yeesh.

I don't like tutus - a nice black evening gown at piano recitals fit me fine. :)

It was really out my dislike for dancing that my family had me take up piano. After that, I took up racquetball (at which I sucked) and competitive swimming (at which I also sucked).

But piano works uber-fantastique for mey. :D :D :D

Anonymous said...

hey la pianista

I did ballet for about, oh, two, three years (it was well and truly over by the time I was about seven) and I HATED it. Ballroom dancing is much more fun.

Anonymous said...

And now the Prime Minister of Australia, BSC

Im Beth Obsessed

BSC

Yet another quote from BSC that will go down in history

Anonymous said...

BSC

The woes of BSC will be published soon by Lady Renegade, whether she likes it or not

And by the way it is quite funny

BSC

P.S. Whos going trick or treating?

Anonymous said...

fine, i will publish the woes of bsc

i don't think anyone will find it funny

except for you, that is.

i'm going trick or treating - i was going to go as carmen, but now i'm going as didyme. the fact that she is dead is beside the point.