"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Monday, May 31, 2010

Eurovision and LADY RENEGADE WENT PARASAILING

Mood: examed out.
Listening to: 'Fairytale' by Alexander Rybak
Hungry for: ???
Bella says: 'i have just stolen mummy's new fluffy green bathrobe...mwaruffruffruff).

Eurovision wasn't so brilliant this year. There was nothing, you know, KAPOW about it. It was okay.

I still prefer Alexander Rybak's legendary performance of 'Fairytale'. It just hits the spot, you know? Like, there's no psycho costume or gate crasher (did anyone see the gate crasher into Spain's performance this year), just good, old fashioned folk music and dancing. And his violin playing encompasses all I believe in when it comes to good violin playing - lots of soul, lots of flair, and absolutely rubbish technique (my violin teacher might have cheerfully killed him). Oh, and not to mention he's really tall, super cute and his accent is AMAZING.

Anyway. Lady Renegade went parasailing on the weekend.

I may not look like it, but I actually have penchant for extreme sports. I love skiing, which is unfortunate because here in Australia we don't really get a whole lot of snow, and when I went to hospital I completely exhausted myself on the ski simulator the first day I got out of bed (not the best idea, when you've just had major heart surgery). But I've found my new love: parasailing.

Basically, you get put onto a boat with a whole lot of other nervous people, with a harness and a lifejacket on. This harness is different, however, because it has an additional flap that is wide enough to sit on, like the seat of a strap swing. The boat zooms out of the port and into an open patch of sea, and then they let the paraschute fly, and wait till it's flying nice and straight. Then you strip your shoes and socks off, climb onto the back of the boat, which is just a ramp sloping down towards the water (this is whilst the boat is still at full-speed, and the dude clips you on to the paraschute, then they release the rope for about 100 metres, and then you're in the air! It's amazing. Lots of fun. There's no skill involved, you just enjoy the view and piss your pants in fright. Sometimes they slow the boat down so that you drop towards the water and get a bit wet, which is lots of fun.

My sister and I flew tandem, which meant that she was in the normal clip position and I was in front of her. Have you ever had someone's knees bash into your backside every three seconds for ten minutes? We were like all nervous and freezing and chatty, it was so funny.

I can now say that I have flown like a bird, across the sky. I felt so free, 100 metres above Fremantle. There's no feeling like soaring in the air, the danger of falling, the thrill of flying.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Glad you had an awesome time parasailing!

It's something I've not tried.

Best wishes with the ski-ing. Found it a tiny bit amusing what you had done in the hospital.

As for Eurovision ...

Last year's Fairytale was great.

Have you listened to much of the Eurovision channel on YouTube?