"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Daddy.

Why are you yelling?
Let's start again,
"Hello, dear, how are you?"
I don't want to see your crinkled brow,
Smile, daddy, I hate frowns.
If you don't love me
Why did you make me?
Daddy, daddy,
I love you,
Daddy, why can't you love me too?

Mummy tells me
You keep a roof over my head,
But it seems to me a
Bank account would do nicely in your stead.
This water I tread is made of tears,
Because you never smile at me;
You haven't,
For years.

You seem to me like a great big wall,
Old, rugged, still, tall,
But most of all it's bored bored bored,
I'm tired of this, daddy,
I'm tired of this war,
I loved you once for love,
But now it's just a chore.

What goes through your head?
Do I even want to know?
Why do you look at me like I'm some freak show?
I'm you,
I'm your own flesh and blood,
But I'm through,
I've had enough.

Inspired by 'Daddy', Sylvia Plath.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

So, Lady Solitaire, you got the structure and the rhythm from Sylvia Plath's Daddy.

And she didn't seem to like her mixed-heritage either.

The first verse is very real. It seems gentle, supplicant, coquettish.

"This water I tread is made of tears
Because you never smile at me;
You haven't,
For years".

And the first three lines in the third verse are great. I get a physical and emotional picture of the narrator's "Daddy".

And the last verse really takes it away from the sentiment. She doesn't hate her father; she's expaserated and irritated with him. And she does recognise the connection after all. Not exactly a happy ending, but a satisfying one.

The English department at Illinois has some criticism of Plath's Daddy