"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Typical Asian Cunts.

So today I was at the bus stop with my godmother and my sister, cheerfully minding my own beeswax after watching a movie and going shopping (Paul, fyi, which was amazing) and this old fart sitting at the station mutters 'typical asian cunts'.

WTF, man?

First of all, what the hell does he mean by 'typical'? He could hardly think us cheapskate because we were using public transport and not lounging in my limo, because he was doing that too. I don't care if he got mugged and raped by an Asian gang, you just don't criticize people based on race! I've had some pretty nasty encounters with creepy old white men like him, but I didn't judge him - before he called me a cunt, that was.

What kind of bastard calls women cunt these days? What did I do? Do people realize how uncultured and totally fucked up they look when they just spew out all this unrationalized abuse? We take comfort in the fact that he's old, and he's probably going to die soon. But I think about how many people he's infected with his blatant and totally uncalled for racial prejudice. We are an Immigration Nation - this country leans so heavily on the services and gifts of the immigrants we all are - and we all are immigrants, white, Aboriginal or Asian. We all came over in boats, one way or another, at some point in time.

This asshole, this crinkly prehistoric son of a bitch, ladies and gentleman, is proof that racism is still rampant in our 'of course we're totally multicultural and tolerant' Australian society. I stopped buying that bullcrap ages ago, but this is the first time such shocking language has been said, to my face, just because I'm not white. So don't tell me it's all okay, because it's not. Everyone who has ever told me Australia's never racist before (actually, they tried to tell me that Australia was never racist, but it doesn't take a history nut to figure out what a big fudge that was) was someone white and condescending. Sometimes you have to be yellow to see the bleaker side of things.

I have white friends, and white teachers, but I'm beyond colour. I like people who are nice to me, who are smart and sweet and friendly, regardless of what they look like. I had a white boyfriend who turned out to be a complete freak of nature, but I'm pretty sure we can't blame that on his race any more than we can blame it on his acne or his instant noodle leg hair. I don't want to be known as That Asian Girl, and I certainly don't want to be known as That Asian Cunt. I'm as Aussie as anyone is, but I don't feel accepted here - I just feel like sometimes, based on all sorts of things that I can't control, like my race, gender, abilities, I'm a second-class citizen. We all have so much to offer to this beautiful country, myself included. But sometimes you have to wonder - do they really deserve it?

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Do you remember this Michael Jackson song:

"I ain't going to spend my life being a colour"

... or a body part.

Paul is a fantastic movie.

Hopefully the man has not infected too many people, especially his family.

White people do see the bleaker side of things too. The difference is that some of us look for someone or anyone to blame.

And it would be the sort of thing that would have me leaving the country.

Microagressions are everywhere, and they hurt a lot when they happen to you