"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Perfect Story Syndrome.

I'm one of those many people who pretend to be writers.

Sad, isn't it? I spend all of my time when I'm not at school sitting in front of my computer in my pyjamas writing on this blog or surfing the net whilst praying that somebody is reading said blog.

I suffer from what I refer to as The Perfect Story Syndrome. It speaks for itself - I can think up really, really, perfect stories.

Now this sounds all cool, until you realize that the best stories aren't the perfect ones. It's why awkward moments are the most interesting to relive. It's why there's always a tragic flaw in characters, because otherwise they're all just Boring McBoring.

The problem is I love my characters too much. I live some parts of my life that are missing through my characters, and when you do that you don't want things to go wrong in their life, because then you're forced to return to your own. And so I ruin them with boringness.

My solution to this is to turn to poetry. The stories will come later. Promise.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

It doesn't always have to be the characters who have a Tragic Flaw.

Stories are just as readable if the plot or the themes have tragedy in their flaws.

Of a different degree...

And with stories you can do a lot more in that regard than with poetry.

I'm sure you've experienced and expressed different genres.