"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Poetry

I know a lot of people who lose sleep over poetry.

It's one of those horrible necessities of English lit. in high school, but as you might have guessed, I quite enjoy it.

What do I see in poetry? I see an artistic way to be a bitch. I see an eloquent way to be as fantasically weird as I am. I see a way to express myself without sounding corny or suicidal. Death, love, life...such things need special words.

My poems are about me. They're about my relationships with people - with my dad, my friend, and the boy in the back of lit class. They're about what I see and how I feel. They're about my frustration, my anxiety, my anger. My hope, my bliss, my happiness. Big things like that. When words fail, poetry triumphs.

People dismiss poetry. They think it's corny, or too difficult, or useless. But when you read my poetry you're looking through a tiny window into my soul. And what you'll see there is something deep and haunting and magical. Everyone has a little Garden of Eden, complete with Snakes of Sin, in their souls - the difference is that mine has little peepholes, little snapshots. Beauty is wasted if the eye cannot behold.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Go poetry!

I always think, "I should read more of it".

And the whole window-into-soul thing.

It does mix well with a love of words.

But academic poetry, like academic painting (and history painting) is not exactly like that.

That is why people do lose sleep over academic poetry.

The second paragraph felt like a personal ad for poetry. As in "What do I see in poetry? An artistic way to be a bitch..."