"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Monday, April 11, 2011

For Cristy.

Together we are a harmless harmony,
A dutiful duet,
They don't like my rock and roll,
But they like our motley minuet.

It's amazing how rude they are to me,
When I am I sans you,
If you and I were joined at the hip,
We wouldn't have a clue.

Friends are a rare commodity,
But weirdness is rarer still
You won't be offended, Cristy,
But this poem is as weird as you.

When you were younger
Do you ever remember
Hiding in cardboard fortresses?
Well I was always alone behind my box,
A buck toothed girl with mismatched socks,
But I think I've found my wartime buddy,
You laugh when I laugh,
I think that's funny.

I'm a pretty lousy friend,
Sometimes I get so tired,
I think up all these elaborate plans,
That always seem to backfire.
Life is a game,
I'll be your sidekick,
Will you be mine, too?
We might not have much to gain,
But that's fine,
As long as we both laugh as we lose.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Love a friendship poem which admits how "lousy" the poet is as a friend.

If that's a left-handed compliment, thinking about how "Cristy" might receive it.

The first verse with the music is just beautiful, sets the people's personalities so well: especially the rock and roll!

The unspoken pressures and pleasures of girl friendship are in "harmless harmony"/"dutiful duet".

"I've found my wartime buddy/You laugh when I laugh/I think that's funny": three great lines.

Lots of laughter in general in this poem: "As long as we laugh when we lose".

Very personal; very true, and yet not bitter. It has elements of the sweet and savoury.

(Yes, food reviews, A. A. Gill style. When poets write, they provide a service).