"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

10 Things All Aussie Girls Know

Mood: sleepy
Listening to: 'The Boys Are Back' from High School Musical: Senior Year
Hungry for: milo

People are always jealous of French girls, for that effortless, sexy glamour they always seem to have, and people are always jealous of Aussie girls for the beachy look I know most people would kill for.

But it's really not a hard thing to achieve - even if you live miles away from the nearest coastline. Here's how to look like you were born for the surf:

1. Fuzz free - most schoolgirls here make it a point to be fuzz free all year round, mostly because even in winter, there are the odd days warm enough for shorts. There is nothing like having the perfect outfit and unshaven legs. If you have no time to de-fuzz, throw on a long sundress and a light wrap - it'll cover you from head to toe and still be cool and breezy
2. Aussie girls are not afraid of bikinis - seriously, even if you think your stomach is the size of Alaska, don't be afriad of the trusty swimsuit. Confidence, not muscle density, is sexy.
3. Don't stack on the makeup - the 'whoopsies I've swapped my foundation for my mum's unbaked cake batter' is not a good look. Instead of trying to look like you've plastered enough stuff on your face to paint a house, try to look natural - only better! Ditch heavy foundations and thick eyeliners for light tinted moisturizers and a good bronzer - a peachy pink blush if you're more girly.
4. Don't wash your hair every. Freakin. Day. - that's what dry shampoo was invented for! Don't have any? Try sprinkling a little baby powder on oily roots, but be careful - if you have dark hair too much and you'll look like a granny, or like you've got a bad case of dandruff. Ew.
5. Don't murder your hair - Hairspray is for New York - you can make your own Aussie-made hair spritzer. Dissolve a couple of teaspoons salt with about a cup of water and put into a spray bottle, and you're good to go.
6. There is nothing wrong with jeans-and-a-tee - Seriously. If you're just chillin', it's not illegal to throw on some denim and stretch cotton.
7. Thongs are not Brazillian underwear - what Americans call 'thongs' are called 'G-strings' here in Oz - for reasons unknown to me. Thongs are flip-flops - and every self-respecting Aussie girl owns a good pair.
9. Burn. Your. Straightener. - plait your hair (between two to six - one and you'll end up with a giant kink and more than six and you'll say hello to an afro) at night before bed, spray each with hairspray, and sleep on it. The next morning take out the plaits, spritz on some salt spray and you'll look like you've just gotten off the beach. Tip - start the plait as close to the scalp as possible, and try and tie it off as close to the ends as you can - otherwise you'll end up with poker straight hair with a few random kinky bits in it.
10. Have fun! Chill! - Life is just a stroll on the beach.

7 comments:

C.S said...

couple of teaspoons of WHAT? Air?

Anonymous said...

salt, sweetheart, salt.

C.S said...

Why the hell would you put SALT in your hair? Anyway, pleease don't write another post because otherwise the post with it's a crazy dream URL will go onto the older blogs, and then I'm going to have to wait another hour to go on that blog cuz my computer's so slow. ok?

Adelaide Dupont said...

I wash my hair once a week, if that, and brush it whenever it might need brushing.

And your fashion tips are great. They are based on observation.

(Especially the one about hairspray!)

And I liked tip 9 as well, as that is what I do (plait my hair). Rastas are good for that effect too.

Any tips about fringes or the lack thereof?

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky you can wash your hair once a week! I have to wash my hair every second day (plus on the day I don't wash the whole mop I have to wash the roots and recondition the ends). I have oily roots and dry hair, and it's such a pain!

Btw, C.S, salt water is fundamental for the beach wave look. Also, if you spray a little salt water on your hairline before you brush your hair into a ponytail, it should catch all of the little baby hairs that grow near your hairline. Leaning your head back when you're doing a ponytail gets rid of the bump of hair at the nape of the neck.

The only time I've ever had a fringe was when I was about three and had a ridiculous bowl hairstyle with straight bangs. All I know about fringes is a) never try and trim it yourself and b) make sure you trust your hairdresser before you ask for a fringe. Also, fringes are not the brightest idea for people who have small, short faces or people with oily acne prone skin - and fringes benefit with a blast of dry shampoo on days when you don't wash your hair.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Also, fringes are not the brightest idea for people who have small, short faces or people with oily acne prone skin - and fringes benefit with a blast of dry shampoo on days when you don't wash your hair.

I fit(ted) all the above criteria, Lady Renegade, so fringes were best avoided. My face is quite square and my forehead narrow. It is also the place subjected to headaches in the temples.

And when one is three, one doesn't have much choice about one's hair.

Anonymous said...

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/fashion/swimwear-solutions

I've found my swimsuit!

The thing is, I don't have $144 dollars to spare and Australia doesn't have a Bloomingdales.