"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

2009: In Review

Mood: Sleepy
Listening to: 'My Happy Ending' by Avril Lavigne
Hungry for: steak!

Sorry this post is a little late!

When I talk about a year gone by, I often think of a year as a big yin-yang symbol - the good, and the bad, balancing each other. And there have been a lot of good things about 2009, and a lot of bad things. It all balances out, the way things should be.

The best thing about 2009 would have to be the new school - the big step from primary school to high school was refreshing, invigorating. It kind of sucks being the youngest, the littlest, the least-important, all over again, but you learn the most from the bottom, that's what I've learned throughout my schooling and music career - there's no point aiming low to be the best of the worst - you learn the most when you're the worst of the best.

And there are other little good things as well - falling in love, getting good grades, meeting really nice people and fabulous teachers...and finding really awesome makeup lines! Maybelline Mineral Power...the best.

And then, of course, there's the bad. The heartbreak, the heartache, the bad grades, the lousy teachers, the bitchy girls and horrible gross-me-out boys...bad hair days and wardrobe malfunctions, when you get dumped by the crimson wave and when you get dumped by your boyfriend...

And detention, I guess. But I don't count detention as a bad thing. Because one, I didn't deserve it - I don't have a behaviour problem! They sent me to a shrink, can you believe it, like I'm some sort of psycho who needs professional help...okay, maybe I do, but I don't need to be told that by an oversized tomato with hair. I am misunderstood and rebellious and a bitch on crack, but I don't have a behaviour problem. Seriously.

Apart from that, it was an alright year, I guess. If you took away the tears and pain and frustration, it would have been perfect, but then, not even perfection is perfect. Always remember that. Be glad for what you've got, and take the good and the bad as it comes.

Happy New Year.

Don't forget to check out my new blog, It's A Crazy Dream, to follow me as I read the Telegraph's Top 100 Novels of All Time.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Loved reading about your 2009.

It was a tempestuous year!

And you are on to something when you comment on not aiming low to be the best of the worst, but you learn from being the worst of the best.