"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Swimsuit Search

Mood: meh
Listening to: 'Because' by Jessica Mauboy
Hungry for: pasta

I never eat my own words.

I do, however, rearrange them slightly.

When I said don't be afraid of the humble bikini, you also have to know when the bikini has won the battle.

I think the bikini has won this battle.

I'm quite slim, with an average frame - except for my stomach that balloons crazily out of proportion (or however you spell that word). If I were a comfortable size sixteen, that wouldn't be a problem, because I'd have nicely shaped arms and legs and boobs to compensate it (I can just hear all my male readers running away from the computer as fast as they can), but unfortunately, I sit somewhere between the awkward realms of sizes eight and twelve. If you're American and having a bit of trouble with that, then here is the conversion: size sixteen is size fourteen in the US, size eight is size six and size twelve is size ten. Take two off the numbers and you're all cool.

Anyway.

So I've decided that a bikini is probably not the best option. Here is the difference between me and most other girls who run away from bikinis: I am a size ten with a size sixteen stomach. Most of the other girls are size six with a size four stomach and the main reason stopping them from getting into a bikini is that they're somehow wishin for a size two stomach. Not happening.

So I'm on the search for the perfect swimsuit.

Lately I've been going back to classic styles in most of my clothing - mostly because I don't have the time or money to waste trying to keep up with fads and trends, and mostly because I've figured I should spend more attention on looking timeless instead of looking like an idiot in twenty years time when I look back at my photos and wonder what the hell I was wearing. So I'm looking for a simple, once piece (or two piece, but preferably one) in brown or black, pulled in with a small ruffle down the centre. High cut to show off my legs, and preferably not strapless.

Is this petty? I don't think so. Even bored thirteen-year-old bloggers have to have fashion indulgences. Besides, it's summer.

So I'm on the lookout for the perfect cossie, and I'm also on the lookout for a lot of things, too. I'm really not in the mood to post anything remotely meaningful while the mercury soars (although it's not that hot - here in Oz you have to wait until forty-five degrees (113 Fahrenheit) before you start complaining. In Europe thirty degrees and you start to hear stories of old nannies dying of heatstroke) so if you're hoping for another angsty rant, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until autumn. Or fall. All of this American-Australian conversion is getting to me. I'm gonna go.

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Forty-five degrees.

And even then, don't complain, unless there is a fire.

Hot weather has developed my stoticism (what I have of it).

Yeah, the bikini battle.

I like to wear my swimming suits as underwear.

C.S said...

If it stresses you that much, then no one's telling you to swim.