"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, September 25, 2009

13 + 3 Things I have learned from three terms of being thirteen.

I have been thirteen for three entire school terms.

Just one more to go. Yipee!

I've learned a lot over my three terms of being thirteen. Thirteen things, in fact. Thirteen plus three:

1. Tummy tuck undies do not work. They're tight enough to be uncomfortable but not tight enough to do anything.
2. The best guys are always found in detention. That way you're guaranteed not to get a pommy brat. Not an after school detention, because then they're a bit too wild, but the ones that get lunchtime detention have just enough rebel in them.
3. Never expect any more than friendship from a friend. It only hurts when you want more.
4. Bad days are always followed by good days.
5. Always shake a deodorant can before spraying.
6. Pilates is bloody painful, but it does work.
7. There is no halfway house when it comes to teachers - you either love 'em or hate 'em. There is no such thing as a cordial relationship with teachers here.
8. There is an enormous difference between the two coffee machines at our school - pay a dollar sixty and you get a midget cup of grey water with soap bubbles floating on top, pay forty cents more and you get a larger, half-decent coffee.
9. Intentional or not, all thirteen-year-old boys are heartbreakers.
10. The same thing can be said about fourteen-year-old boys.
11. The more you're attacked, the more you rebel. It is the only way to survive.
12. Music is food for the soul and literature is food for the mind, and both are as important as food for the stomach.
13. When in doubt, rebel.
14. Never trust people who change sides. Once a bitch, always a bitch. Once a bastard, always a bastard.
15. Never trust anyone. Because if you take their advice and succeed, they get all the fame, but if you take their advice and fail, you get all the shame. All your successes should be your successes, and all your failures should be your failures.
16. The rough road leads to paradise, the smooth road leads to hell.

And now you're probably thinking I can't count, or I don't know my own age. That's not true...I said thirteen...plus three.

Hah, tricked you!

I probably didn't, but a girl can dream.

No comments: