"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Saturday, September 19, 2009

And with a kiss, Romeo dies...

I've just watched the legendary Zefirelli version of Romeo and Juliet.

It's beautiful - despite the fact most of it is men in tights. That aside, it's really breathtaking.

But it makes me sad to think that when Juliet gets her Romeo, girls nowadays can only dream of someone like Romeo Montague. They don't make men like they used to - poetic, passionate, dashing heroes like the ones in storybooks. The kind of men that Shakespeare would have seen, not just dreamt of. The kind of men our world needs, and the kind of men that have died out, replaced with the kind of brats you find today, the kind of brat I'll probably end up marrying.

'Never was a story more of woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo'

I can think of one...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope u find out soon that there are still men like that around nowdays, just not 13 year old ones. you might hav to wait a bit! stop being so critical of men gosh, women can be just as bad! but ur cool i spose. :D

Zoe said...

We got to watch that vid in english!
I have to say, the men-in-tights thing is a bit of a turnoff...

I do think that men today are the same as the ones long ago.. Romeo is a strange exception, as he would be nowadays.

It's just the case of how society accepts things e.g. forced marriage. Boys will be boys..