"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Monday, July 12, 2010

Queen Bees and Wannabes - they still exist, you know.

So there was an article in the West Magazine last Saturday about my school, and about how everyone who goes there are mini Eintsteins and showed signs of a squillion IQ points when we were still in diapers and how we all live together happily in a Peaceful World of Einsteindom.

Okay, it's bad enough they try and brainwash us, as students, with that crap. But putting this in the most widely- read paper in the state? How it's all happy go lucky in our school of little nerdies?

Okay, so I'm not saying that our school is a Nazi zone or anything. It's a good school. We don't have major drug problems, or serious issues with alcohol or teenage pregnancies. Most of the staff aren't reincarnations of Hitler and Pol Pot and the curriculum is new, reasonably exciting and flexible. We don't have many unreasonable rules and we've got new buildings. I'm not saying that there's anything bad about our school, I'm not even saying there's nothing good about our school. I'm just saying that you can't make it out to be a Garden of Eden for Braniacs because it's not.

Of course our school has a social hierarchy. What school doesn't? It might not be Gossip Girl come to life but yes, of course we have the queen bees and dumb blondes and ripped jocks and disgusting idiots and bookworms and loners. What do you mean, we're all a like-minded cohort? Sure, we're all (in theory) smart, but whoever said that bright minds think alike or whatever the hell it is is a twit and has never met anyone with an IQ higher then that of a beetle. I mean, I'm a humanties major, does that mean I'll think the same way as someone who's in love with calculus? Of course not! There will always be queen bees and wannabes, even at our school - although, we do have a bit more brainpower, which sometimes makes things worse.

I'm just saying, you can't make something out to be what it's not. That's one thing I've always hated about Australian politics - and yes, a schoolyard is probably as, if not more, political then the Senate - is that we just tend to gloss over things, pretend everything's just fine, when it's not. I know - I do that when I clean my room - just drape something over the big piles of junk and BAM it's gone, but seriously, we shouldn't really do that. I mean, politicians are marvellous at dodging awkward questions by answering them with something completely irrelevant and off topic, e.g.:

JOURNALIST: Prime Minister, is it true that you've spent 30 million dollars of taxpayer's money on a site that doesn't work?

PRIME MINISTER: It's a lovely day, today, isn't it? How about some coffee, hm? The Australian Government firmly believes in the value of coffee and coffee makers...

Anyone guess what the title is from? Hint: Mean Girls.

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Actually I thought it was from Rosalind Wiseman.

The third paragraph pretty much covers everything, as does the "Great minds don't think the same".

It's all about the heirarchy, isn't it?

Adelaide Dupont said...

Or better:

the kyriarchy

(which is domination + power).