"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Things.

Okay, so I should explain my other stalkerific gadget, because on the surface it may seem a bit...weird. But what isn't? I wonder what word they used to describe weird things before Shakespeare came along, saw the gap in our beloved mother language, and invented that word along with about three quillion other words that are now used by people who think that Shakespeare is 'weird' but the word 'weird' is not.

My other gadget is a flag count, which means it keeps track of how many people stop by my blog in the different countries. If you click on it, it tells me how many 'unique' visitors I've had (as apposed to me making my feedjit feed look impressive by visiting my own blog obsessively). So that's that.

Another, completely unrelated thing I wanted to talk about is this interesting phenomenon I like to cal human senses.

Obviously, humans have five senses: sight, hearing, taste, touch and smell. But the ways this can be manipulated is amazing. For example, put two pungent substances, like spices, into two seperate containers, than both into another container. Sniff one of the substances, then the mixture. The substance you have just smelled will be mysteriously absent from the mix, even though it's obviously there.

Another thing that is funny is that if you don't tell people, they often can't taste things. For example, just now I was making sugar soup, an Asian thing, which is basically boiling water with pandan leaves, and various different sugars and honey (it was lacking ginger). For the hell of it, I experimented and added a splash of maple syrup.

You may think that maple syrup is a weird thing to add to an Asian sugar soup, but my reasons were justified. Reason the First, maple syrup is sweet, and the whole idea of a sugar soup is to make a sweet soup to add glutinous rice balls into. Reason the Second, maple syrup isn't as Canadian as you may think - there are maple trees in Korea, and I know alcohol is made out of it...I dunno, that's how I made the connection. Reason the Third, we have proper maple syrup, not that random brown goo that is sold as maple syrup, so it's not like I'm trying to combine America and China together and getting an amazingly fucked up ABC like myself.

I tried to sneak in the maple syrup without anyone knowing, but my sister walked down to the kitchen just as I was putting the syrup back into the fridge. She immediately started tirading, because after all maple syrup is, despite my Reasons, a pretty weird thing to add to the sugar soup, and also because she hates it when I deviate from my mother's instructions - because my experiments more often than not go disasterously wrong. But despite her pulling faces at my brilliant concoction, I was happy with it. It tasted really good, and the aroma of maple and pandan mixed together is weird but nice.

So my parents came down and drank up the soup, and none of them knew what was different about it until I told them, wherelse my sister insisted that it ruined it completely. Sigh. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

No comments: