"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tools.

An artist of any kind - a writer, a visual artist, a photographer, whatever - should all agree with me on this one.

Many fields of work and study require tools and instruments, which is rather annoying - machines, that never do exactly what you want them to do, or tools that don't do anything good by themselves but independently have this inane ability to ruin your day. I believe that mathematicians and scientists have it lucky - artists rely the most on tools.

And it's annoying you know, when you realize someone's messed around with your brushes or mixed up your colour-coordinated eye shadow collection. It's frustrating when someone has changed the settings on Word just as you get a good idea pop into your head. It's mind-blowingly irritating when your camera just decides to poof all by itself.

Many people don't understand the horrible frustration of inanimate objects making fun of you, and try and put it to laziness, or pettiness, or procrastination. They just think us, artists, are a bunch of tools.

Let me tell you something: it's our tools that are tools, not us.

Speaking of tools, do you know who are really big tools? People who stare at you and give you dirty looks in class, especially if you answer something only a crazy obsessed wikipedia freak like me would know. It's insanely annoying, you know, so my dear ma told me a trade secret 'if they stare at you, stare back'. So I have staring competitions in Politics and English, my favourite subjects and the subjects I happen to be quite good at, and people are quite shocked. Nerds aren't meant to know the TRADE SECRET - just stare back, look away when they do, and then stare when they start staring again. But guess what? I know it.

My blog is a great source of comfort to me when I'm forced to have staring competitions and try and avoid rather rude gazes from awestruck/disgusted/freaked out people. Even in the early days when I had pathetic traffic, it still feels good. I see my world at the moment as a darkness, not always scary dark, but spooky dark, but sometimes a nice dark. I'm aiming towards the light. But somehow, my blog is my torch, my weapon, that I hold out in front of me on the long road ahead.

Is that too cheesy?

No comments: