"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Typos

I have been re-reading some of my posts and I've realized that there are a hell of a lot of typos. But I can't bring myself to edit them out, unless they're blantantly nonsensical or rude. Why? Because I think, perhaps erronously, that they add character to my writing.

I'm not the kind of person who carefully structures out her writing and rereads and re-edits over and over. I write the second ideas occur to me, my fingers flying over the keyboard, not bothering or noticing mistakes. My ideas ebb and flow unpredictably, hence the reason I may have a writing famine for about a month and then have about five posts in one day.

I don't believe in spotlessly polished writing doled out regularly, predictably, boringly. I believe the true heart of writing is writing written in the heat of the moment, writing complete with errors and little imperfections. I don't think I've ever proof-read a post before - because, blog posts are only fun when one writes them or when you read them, all published, on a blog. The little window that I blog in is not interesting, and I consequently want to get out of it as soon as possible. When I do notice an error when I read the published post and go to edit it, I normally can't find it as the publishing window makes every word look like all the other words around it.

Just thought I'd let you know.

No comments: