"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, December 24, 2010

It's still pretty cute.

There's a cat camping under the bush outside my window.

It's especially creepy at night because it's nearly black and has these big luminescent eyes.

It all started a couple of weeks ago when we came home one day and it was lurking behind the trailer.

It was pretty cute.

It didn't go away.

The next day I found it in the bottom of the garden near the pool. It was still pretty cute.

My dogs didn't think so. Every time Bella managed to force herself through the bars of the fence the cat shoots out like a bat out of hell.

The cat lurked in the back garden for a few weeks. It came down every time I went outside to keep it company, whenever Skye (who can't fit through the gaps in the fence) decides to try Operation Get-The-Cat-Out-of-The-Garden and whenever I tried to pick tomatoes from our tomato patch. Then it decided that Bella was too annoying and vacated.

And relocated.

To the front yard.

It now comes out and greets us whenever we come home, at whatever hour. It waits on the doorstep and creeps the crap out of my sister because all you can see at night are floating yellow eyes. It rubs against our legs (I'm sorry I call it it. Its hair is too long to work out its gender) and has now made a nest under the bush outside my bedroom window to keep out of the heat.

We don't know where the cat's from, or who it belongs to, but it's not starving because it is quite a formidable hunter. It left a peace offering on our doorstep - a dead mouse splayed open - sometime last night. How charming.

The cat is very cute, and very friendly. It lets me pick it up and scratch its head and stroke it. It meows at three in the morning as if to say 'Hi, pal...you won't let me into the house even though I gave you a peace offering.' or 'It's not fair that two incredibly stupid dogs who can't even catch mice are inside and I, the Formidable Mouse Catcher, am out here.'

Stalker.

But it's still pretty cute.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Loved reading about this cat.

A great description, with its human and animal qualities in balance, and the place it has in your life.