"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Crying Blood.

Premature years of fertility
Are wasted on years of 'not meant to be',
A belly swollen but bereft of a child.

Premature years of adversity
Are wasted on years of absent comraderie,
Each wasted curve of each wasted breast.

The clock has started before the shot of the starting gun,
My time's up before I've run,
My life will end before it has truly begun.

It's like keeping pace with a small child
Who has so many years of running wild,
And as I wait I am an old woman dying
In a body of a young woman crying
Blood.

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

The repetition of "wasted" and the last three lines after "It's like running after a wild child" really get to me.

"And as I wait I am an old woman dying
In a body of a young woman crying
Blood."

You express a lot! And you communicate a lot too!

(Reminds me a lot of Kipling's Harp song of the Dane Woman).

(And not easy to think that one might be one of the "surplus women").

Adelaide Dupont said...

And if I were to suggest a title for the poem:

"Premature Years"

suggests the loss very well.

The link:

"Premature years of adversity" and "fertility" carries in well.

The biological and the social consequences are not spared.