"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, March 04, 2011

Shopping Black.

There's this term in America called 'shopping black'. It basically refers to the (sad) phenomenon that black people are sometimes subject to blatant rascism in upmarket stores. This can include rascism, rascist remarks, ignoring the black customer in favour of white customers, and asking them to leave or be searched based on their appearance. Statistics show that casually-dressed black women on their own are more likely to be targeted.

This is just disgusting. It happens here, too - I call it 'shopping Asian'. You walk into an upmarket store, even an upmarket restaurant, and they treat you with this condescension. I've seen people - all kinds of people who don't conform to the blonde/blue norm - people who are black, Asian, wearing ethnic or unusual clothing, who have big boobs or physical deformities - stared at and treated differently. Even in school - Asian girls are usually passed over for girlfriends in favour of white girls, even if the general consensus is that the Asian girl is prettier/nicer/smarter than the white girl.

We are all human beings. I was born a girl - don't judge me for it. I was born Asian - don't judge me for it. I was born a bit different to you - don't juge me for it.

Don't judge me, or anyone else.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Hi Lady Solitaire!

Even better reason to support local and independent stores, and if you really want something from an upscale store, get it online (that way, the only thing they'll judge is your credit/bank balance).

Have read, heard and experienced this phenomenon.

It is "walking while [distinguishing, usually unchangeable characteristic]".

And it happens in restaurants too? We all need to eat. And many of us love to be in a clean and warm place to do it, with extra decorations.

For me, I stare at the ordinary ones. They might not get noticed otherwise, and the extraordinary ones get a break from overexposure.