"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, April 21, 2013

back in the groove.

Now Playing: Here Lies Love by David Byrne ft. Fatboy Slim & Florence Welch (is it a sin to love too much? Is it a sin to care?)

I haven't written an essay in a long long long long time.

In retrospect, I probably should have written an essay 'for fun'. In my defence, I have been doing a lot of blogging and a lot of writing, so the gears are still well oiled even if the machine hasn't been in operation for a little while and...writing, when you love it as much as I do, when you've been trained by the best teachers in the world like I have...it's like riding a bike. It doesn't really leave you.

That being said, it is taking me a while to get back in the groove. I'm writing a pretty gosh darn big essay at the moment and I love it...I love the creative process, I even love the sometimes frustrating method of writing and deleting and then writing some more. This is what I was born to do, and it...it feels right.

That being said, I am slightly terrified. This is the first essay that I'll ever write for university, and odds are it won't be my best. But I don't mind, just like I didn't mind getting that shockingly appalling B+ for my first essay in year nine English. At least when you start off bad you can only go up from there. The hardest part of being academic, as I found out the hard way in year twelve when every essay became increasingly stressful and paranoid is that when you're at the top it's so very easy to fall.

No comments: