"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Saturday, April 20, 2013

What do you do when they point to that person on TV
And they say 'when you grow up, baby, I want you to be just like them.

'They're so wise, so smart, so beautiful,
Look at them, changing the world
Just like Prince Charming does in your storybooks
They stand up for what is right and fight for what they believe in

'That's what you have to do, baby
I want you to be just like that.'

And then

I wanted to be just like them, too
I stood behind 5'11" of friend when
I was scared

And my cheeks burned with shame
Shame that I couldn't sucker punch that other guy in the face
Shame that I stood behind a man like a damsel in distress
Shame that I lived in a world where I still live in fear

I wanted to be Prince Charming, too
I want to slay my own dragons

But when I tried to stand
Tried to raise my hand for a spot

On that TV that they pointed to so many years ago
Telling me that was where I had to go

They said

NO.

Don't do that.
You're asking for trouble.
You can't change the world, you can't save the day

This is how things are
This is what life is

Keep your head down and your mouth shut
And maybe you'll get through this okay

And if you don't
Don't make me say 'I told you so'
Don't wear that, because then it's your fault

I'm sorry, baby, but that's the truth

You're not one of them
You can't be your heroes because

It's too
It's just so
I mean, when I said that...

I am just trying to make sure you make it to your grave alive.


No comments: