"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, November 07, 2008

My Best Friends

This post is by request of La Pianista - believe me, it is the best I can do to fulfill your request. I know, BSC, you asked first, but YOURS IS COMING!!!

My best friends. I don't have that many.

Best Friend #1: my mom
Best Friend #2: my editor
Best Friends #3: lily and edward
Best Friend #4: BSC
Best Friend #5: C.S
Best Friend #6: my completely crazy and psycho friend
Best Friends #7: my wikifriends
Best Friends #8: my computer and the internet
Best Friend #9: my piano
Best Friend #10: my violin

Don't be alarmed if you're near the bottom of the list and you thought you would be at the top. The order is forever changing - this is just the order today.

My mom is my best friend. I just don't get it when people who have no real family problems (like divorcing or drugs or alcohol) and hate their mom. I mean, sure, I get real angry with her sometimes, but I never hate her. My mom is my best friend in the whole wide world.

My editor is my lifesaver. You see, I go to a real maths-and-sports based school, which happen to be the two things that I'm not particularly fond of (okay, I love maths but I love english better, but I hate sport. Most sports) and the English standard really isn't all that high (in fact, the whole state's English standard is pretty sad), so even though I'm no child prodigy, I manage to be the top of the state in Humanities. The downside of being the top in the state (apart from the obvious jealousy, envy, teasy thing) is that there is no-one that really is your level.

I hate to boast. I don't pretend to be brilliant, especially not in art or sport. But this is something I'm good at, and I like to think that I'm REALLY good at it. Just to boost my very small ego.

So when we do peer editing, I feel incredibly guilty when I mark other people's essays and narratives - the whole page looks like it's been painted with red. My work, on the other hand, is hardly marked, which is quite annoying because I know it's far from perfect and I want some constructive critisism. Even teachers aren't overly critical of my work. I mean, they say all this crap about my work being controversial, and it is, I'm no conservative, but what I really want people to do is help me get rid of the rough patches of my writing.

So I have one person to do this for me. My editor.

Okay, she's not my official editor, but she's pretty cool nonetheless. Every week at the writing workshop that I go to (it's ending soon - sad) she meticulously reads over my work, giving it the polish it deserves, plus she endures constant bombardments of emails of my brainwaves and new ideas. She's my lifesaver. She's also awesome.

Lily and Edward are actually the main characters of the new trilogy that I'm writing - they're actually Lillian Jaymes McFee and Edward Lancaster. Yes, I know, they're not real, but one day their love story will be in bookstores all over the world, so don't diss them. Lily is a sort of cross between me, Bella Swan and Elizabeth Bennett, Edward is sort of a cross between My Perfect Guy, another fictional character of my mind, Anakin Skywalker, BSC, Jasper Hale, Edward Cullen, Gilbert Blythe, etc. Edward is always there for me and I'm always there for Lily. Simple.

BSC comes in at number four today - for reasons unfathomable to me. I have to endure a lot of teasing because of our friendship - rumours circulating that I'm jealous of his girlfriend, the one and only Bethany the Beautiful, but I'm not, just to make things clear. BSC and I are friends, nothing romantic, as I have stated numerous times. Some people don't seem to get the message. Aside from that, he's the best guyfriend any girl could ask for. Bit too tall, though...and he never listens, but then, neither do I...

What would I do without wacky, crazy C.S? She is the korean version of agua loca, literally. She's the twin sister I never had.

My completely crazy and psycho friend is one of my friends at school - and she's awesome. She has some issues with the fact that I wear makeup to school (not much, just a dab of concealer and some tinted lipbalm) but other than that (and a huge row we had a few months ago) we get along just fine.

My wikifriends - what would I do without them? I love you guys all so, so much.

I couldn't live without my computer - I'm serious, I tried to live without it, and I was suicidal for those entire ten minutes. I'm a writer and I need to write on a daily basis, and Microsoft Word comes in handy for that. Lots of people say I should write by hand, but I can't - My writing is barely legible and it's so slow and I just don't write well by hand. On the other hand, I'm a 75 wpm touch-typist and I have absolutely no problem just tapping away all day. There's also the problem of finding so much paper to write on - I can't write on unlined paper - and I lose things as soon as I find them, so at least on the computer I only lose 2 out of 3 things instead of 3 out of 2. And I hate erasers - I love the backspace key. And pens! PENS! They annoy the hell out of me.

The internet is also hugely vital, for recreational and work purposes. Because I'm trying to appeal to more people than just Aussies I set most of my work in America, but seeing as I've never been to America I have to do a lot of research - what's the legal drinking age, clubbing age, heritage sites, etc. My editor is very impressed by how much meticulous investigation I do, but I find it fun and sort of necessary - I want my work to be realistic, and I like researching. Projects that involve spending hours researching on the net and writing notes are, like, the only homework that I do (I hate doing boring old English and Math sheets - as BSC knows very well)

I know, it's a little weird to have a piano as a friend, but seriously, my piano is better than most people I know. It's a great stress reliever - seriously. You can do things to a piano that you cannot do to another human being without them retaliating. I mean, BSC has this don't hit girls policy, so he's the best punchbag, but I swear, even he wouldn't take what I do to my piano without taking a snap at me. Don't get me wrong, I love love love my piano, but, like BSC, it's one of my scapegoats. I play loud music when I'm angry or happy, and slow, sad nocturnes and love themes when I'm heartbroken, sad or feeling incredibly romantic. My favourite allegro is Allegro ma non troppo by Beethoven, although I have revamped it to make it more dramatic, something my teacher does not fully appreciate in a piece of music written in a conservative, classical era (although I have pointed out that Beethoven is not known for being conservative). My teacher reckons Beethoven has just turned in his grave. I reckon he's just danced in it.

My favourite nocturne is Notturno Opus 54 Lyric Pieces N0.4 by Grieg. Grieg is one of my favourite composers - one of my other favourites is Morning Song.

My favourite love theme is Across the Stars by John Williams, the love theme from Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. It's so romantic and desperately sad, it makes my eyes prick every time I play it. Okay, I am very bad at playing it, I'm teaching it to myself, but I it's okay - I'll ask my teacher about the second bridge that I always miss. My other personal favourites are two Phantom of the Opera pieces: the love theme, All I Ask of You, and Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again. All I Ask of You is a bit repetitive, so I have fun mucking around with the keys - it's written in some ridiculous key - D flat major I think - so every now and then I'll transpose it into D major. It's quite interesting.

I hate studies - they're annoying - but there is one study that is okay - Con Moto, Opus 107 No 6 by Cornelius Gurlitt. It's quite...dramatic, at least when I play it is.

My violin earns me a lot of status at school. I picked it up quite easily - because of my piano career - and I climbed up easily through the ranks. It's not as hard as my classmates make it out to be - I just like being at the top, but I like to work for it.

These are my best friends in the whole wide world and I love love love them all so, so, much

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I can't believe you have inanimate objects as best friends, but I understand why. They do what you want them to do without complaint (eg. BF #9). Who's 'your completely crazy and psycho friend'? Anyway, good luck with your writing, and I'm waiting for a hardcover version with your name printed in gold letters! LOL!
C.S

Anonymous said...

My goodness gracious, how touching!

Sorry for the late response, a gazillion times sorry. Thanks so much for this post - really enjoyed it to pieces.

:)

Much <3,

La Pianista

BTW, you get criticized for being controversial? Remind those folks that "good girls never made history." Kapeesh? :)

Anonymous said...

Ummm... I don't like you wearing makeup TO SCHOOL because I care about you and don't want you to get into more trouble than you already get into. Soz about tho fight, but I made it clear why it happened. I am not complaining so please don't interpret it as that. I'm just assuring.

Anonymous said...

BTW... The post starting with ummm... was from your crazy and completely psycho friend.

Signed
your crazy and completely psycho friend.

Anonymous said...

i really have no problem getting into trouble.

you know when i wasn't allowed to play t-ball because of all those math sheets i owe, and i made a fuss? yeah, well, i only made a scene so people wouldn't think i'm weird. i was really over the moon - i hate t-ball.

Anonymous said...

Same here... only sometimes though, especially when I'm sore or It's hot.

I'm going to start signing off differently now. Your crazy and completely psycho friend is too long.

CACPF

TinyLittleKermitMidget said...

Heyy Renegade,

Im not mentioned in the friends


D=

Well, i dont think i am
Anywayz Luv Ya!!


<3
The Tiny Little Kermit Midget