"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Time to Get Tough

Ever since officially launching my writing career a few months ago (okay, I've been writing for ages, but this is the real thing) I've cracked down on books. Sometimes the standard of literature in the English world is appaling.

I have now truncated my already picky reading list - mostly because I've decided that work that I could have done better is not worth reading and the only books that are actually worth my time are true, priceless, works of art.

Now most people would say - why? Just read any old crap - it fills in time, just like reading is supposed to.

Well, partly because I LOVE LOVE LOVE reading and I LOVE LOVE LOVE gushing about the latest book I've devoured. And that is kind of hard if the book you've just read is complete shitcake.

So, this is the lowdown on the books that have stood out in my life:

Please be warned that you may not like everything written below, and I invoke my right as a free Australian to have freedom of speech. So no hatemail, please. Wait, that's not fair. If you really must send hatemail, please send it to my email address, princess_geesu@hotmail.com under lady renegade sux!. Thankyou.

J.R.R TOLKEIN

I can't read Tolkein. I seriously can't. I think the ideas and storylines and setting and characters are great, but the actual books go right down the tube. 'Great Literature' is not 'Really good ideas completely wrecked by shitty writing'. End of story.

CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI

I really can't stand this guy. He's not that brilliant, really. All his books are almost completely copied directly from The Lord of The Rings. I mean, my writing is influenced quite a bit from Twilight, but at least it is THE BOY FROM GREEN EAVES and not TWILIGHT REMADE. THE LORD OF THE RINGS REMADE would be a much more appropriate title than 'Eragon'

STEPHENIE MEYER

Good points: This girl's got talent. Seriously. The prose, the dialogue, her style is brilliant, something no-one will ever be able to match up to. Incredibly complex but still easy and enjoyable to read. Heartbreakingly romantic but not gooey and barf-inducing. Only American author that really stands out to me.

Bad points: The character development is a little shoddy - especially Bella. She has virtually no personality once she is turned into a vampire - her main defining characteristics - stubborness, clumsiness - are all just human reactions to her shockingly beautiful boyfriend. And really, I know she's mentioned that she doesn't intend Bella's life to be a perfect role model for teenages, but, intentional or not, people will start to look up to Bella, good and bad. A girl's destiny should not be to hook up with some gorgeous vampire.

J.K ROWLING

I must admit, there is only one small bad thing that sours J.K Rowling's gloriously sweet Harry Potter series. It's children's literature adored by boys, girls, little children, pubescent adolescents and teenagers, and even adults. An absolute gem.

The only small bad point is that the ending is seriously bad. Unrealistic and cheesy. But that's it. The rest is all praise.

FRANCES HODGSON BURNETT

The Secret Garden: good idea but poorly written
A Little Princess: ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT

That's my little rant over. I can't wait for you guys to review my books...when they get published. If they ever do.

7 comments:

JulietteVanDessen said...

Hey!

Your blog is really great! I'm also a teenaged-writer and I'm working on my own piece myself. It's great to know I'm not the only one! Check out my blog if you ever need any help or just want to talk.

Juliette VanDessen

Anonymous said...

Robert Muchamore is the best author to roam the earth

The CHERUB series is the best book series ever

Beth is beautiful

BSC

Anonymous said...

I suggest you read Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
C.S

Anonymous said...

already have

Anonymous said...

Cool!
Did you like it?
C.S
P.S
Beth died!
Beth!!!
She died!!!

Anonymous said...

C.S! Shut up! Do you want BSC to commit suicide or something?! His girlfriend is called Bethany!

Anonymous said...

Um...
Ok. Ooops.
You know who I meant!
But, sorry to anyone who committed suicide because of my comment.
C.S