"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

1,2,3,.................4,5,6...getting bor-KABOOM

Everything is happening so fast.

One minute I was a dorky twelve year old dreaming of high school. Then entrance exams. Fights. Crushes that went too far. Betrayals. New friends. More fights. Laughter. Tears.

Now graduation.

We've had a lot of time to come to terms with leaving behind life as we have known it for as long as we can remember. Dancing lessons. Endless talks of 'In highschool it's completely different'.

But it didn't hit me I was leaving, going to the big bad world of highschool, until today, the day before officially graduating and two days before saying goodbye primary and hello high school. Writing my speech for the ceremony. Still didn't sink in that I was never coming back, moving forward without a backwards glance.

All this year I've complained how much I've hated primary school, how much I just can't wait to go to high school, where finally I might be loved and accepted by more than just five people.

But now I've begun to see the little good things hidden in primary school, the things I had never really took for granted, but accepted as my right. Leader of the orchestra without any effort. Easily the best writer without any blood, sweat or tears. Even coming within the top five in mathematics, my worst subject apart from sport and art, would be an honour I would have to live without in a place of 170 thirteen year olds that are just as good as me, some much, much better.

Of course, the bad things are still there. The teachers that confuse twelve years old with twelve months. The pathetic, bunsen burner-less science courses that all seem to be exactly the same. The boring homework, the unchallenging curriculum. The bitchy girls. The heartbreak of unrequited love.

But all of it, good and bad, is familiar. It's all I've known for eight years.

And even though I hate it, I'm finding it hard to give it all up - to just let go and venture out into the exciting unknown.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, same here.
I graduated today too, but I still can't accept it. At least now you're going to a selective school you won't take your intelligence for granted, which I think you have for the last 8 years.
Did you get any awards?
C.S

Teacup said...

Well. There you go, eh? I'm not going to high school for another good 9 or so months...I can only wish you luck.

You'll have to give it up, won't you? It's high school. And then there's college. I've heard that high school is better than middle school...socially? Possibly. Academically? I doubt it.

Things get harder, don't they? I suppose you'll have to (I'll have to) work harder, to maintain everything you've built up...but it won't be nice, will it?

La Pianista said...

I actually didn't have much of a problem going from primary to secondary. It was in the music field that hit me hardest - I was normally near the very top, but now I'm with kids at my level and over, and cocky ones, too. -_-

Anyways, good luck with your grad, LR. :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't graduated yet, caitlin.

BTW, how old are you peeps in america when you graduate from primary? it never occured to me you even had primary schools - isn't it elementary, middle, junior high, senior high?

We only have two schools before college, which we call university over here.

Morgapedia said...

In the US, we have elementary (at my school, we graduate at 12, but ususally you're 11), then middle school/junior high (same thing, different name, graduate at 14), and then high until you're 18. I am going to be a freshman at the high school in the end of August. I LOVED middle school, but I'm looking forward to high school because of MARCHING BAND!!! *squeal*

La Pianista said...

We--or at least I--call elementary school "primary." "Secondary" school would be high school, both junior and senior.

And, yes, like DH said, we enter high school after 14.

Anonymous said...

three schools instead of two would be...interesting. We have seven/eight years at primary (depends if you do the optional first year) and then five years at secondary, three of which are compulsory. There is also an additional year in some sports-orientated schools so that students can catch up on academic work they may have missed because of sports commitments, but as far as I know, only nerds do Year 13.