"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Monday, December 01, 2008

Super...what?

Almost everyone I know wants a superpower - BSC, my other friends, both guy and girl - everyone.

Lets list a few to get you in the whole superhero mood.

Edward Cullen, the resident vampire hottie of TWILIGHT, can read minds.

Jasper Hale, the resident vampire hottie's brother who also happens to be pretty cute, can control other people's emotions and can sense and is heavily controlled by them.

Alice Cullen, the resident vampire hottie's brother who also happens to be pretty cute's wife, has premonitions based on the most likely of events that will happen in the future.

Bella Swan, the resident vampire hottie who has a brother who also happens to be pretty cute and has a totally awesome wife's sweetheart, is a 'shield' and can block any other vampire power except for her vampire hybrid daughter, Renesmee.

I do apologise that I don't know any other superheros outside of Twilight. Okay, Jedis come pretty close, and I know a tiny bit about X-Men, but....

When I was little, I wanted the ability to fly. The ability to fly seemed so cool. Now I think that the ability to fly will only induce nausea and fear instead of euphoria.

Now, all I want to do is read minds, like Edward. I really want to know what the popular girls are bitching about behind my back, why I wasn't invited to this or that, what boys really think about me. That last reason is the most important - it's infuriating, fustrating, irritating and heartbreaking beyond belief that I can fall in love so easily and just get out of it bruised and shattered. I want to know why. I want to know everything the boy thinks about me.

The ability to control emotions would be cool, but it wouldn't be binding. I could make Hayden Christensen fall in love with me if I wanted to, but it would fade as soon as he were out of my sight. What kind of love is that? It would be like a love potion, something that was bound by fate to be doomed, like Merope and Tom Riddle Snr. in Harry Potter. I can sympathize Merope Gaunt now more than any other point in my life, in more ways than I ever dreamed of.

Actually, being a witch would be cool. I can relate to almost all of the key female characters in Harry Potter: Hermione Granger, Cho Chang, Merope Gaunt, Ginny Weasley.

Hermione Granger, for non Harry Potter freaks, is one of Harry Potter's best friends and one of the only females he is close with. Her relationship with Harry Potter and Ron Weasley reminds me of me and my guyfriends, especially BSC, only my friendship with them is not quite so deep. She's academic, and is sometimes viewed as a nerd, which I totally understand, and her talent is often misunderstood.

Cho Chang, who is Harry Potter's first love interest, by the way, is another I can relate to, not just because we're both Asian. I don't quite understand her pain, because I've never had someone like Cedric Diggory so close to me that it would hurt so much if I lost him, but I know how fustrated and heartbroken she feels about Harry Potter's inexperienced and tactless dating - boys are so difficult, sometimes!

I can relate to Merope Gaunts desperation for the handsome boy that lived next door to her, and I understand why she went to such desperate measures to get him. I would have done the same, if I were as desperate and young as she was. She was very young, in her mind, dreaming of Prince Charming. She didn't know that Prince Charming doesn't exist, and he's just out there to break your heart.

Ginny's crush on Harry is something I really understand. The hardest kind of love to endure is unrequited love - it's kind of like your love is a brilliant light, but instead of fueling a light globe it reflects off a mirror back to you, blinding and callous. She got her happy ending - will I?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of characters ypu share the same emotions/traits with, you're alot like Jo March.
C.S

Anonymous said...

yeah, i like jo march alot. i also like lizzy bennett - she's so cool.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but I can't believe she married Bhaer.
C.S

Anonymous said...

I know, hey? Well, LMA said that she was intending to make Jo an old maid, like she should be, but many people said that she should get married, so she got her married. Personally, I think she should have married Laurie.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but if she hadn't married Bhaer and married Laurie, Amy would have been left to marry Fred.
I think it all worked out well.
C.S