"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Good Girl Gone Bad Rebel

I'm not a good girl gone bad. I'm a good girl gone rebel. Rules are not made to be followed, or broken. Rules are made to be bended.

See, we have this rule at school that hair longer than shoulder length has to be tied up (stupid rule). We also have a no-makeup rule.

No-one 'breaks' these rules. Almost everyone 'bends' them. And who is the only person that gets told off? Me.

Immy C wears her hair down. So do a lot of people. Lots of people wear eyeliner. Some wear clear mascara, or lipgloss. Lots of people wear tinted moisturiser, like me, and that isn't even counted as makeup anyway - it's classified as suncream.

I really like wearing my hair down. If you tie it up, it falls out, you lose your lackies and clips and bobby pins, you can't put your hat on properly and I look really stupid with my hair up, anyway.

So, I 'crimped' my hair by putting in lots of braids overnight, then unravelling them in the morning.

Everyone knows that curled or crimped hair is shorter than straight hair, so my hair just touched my shoulders. Perfect.

I wore my hair down to school, and a little tinted and some sunscreen lipgloss. Not my fault the curls started to unravel during the day until they eventually hung halfway down my waist, like my straight hair normally does.

I got told off six times. SIX TIMES!!! Immy C doesn't even curl her hair when she wears it down, and she never gets told off.

Most kids say 'Why me?' when they think they are the only ones that get told off when in fact everyone does. I say 'Why me' because, I am, genuinely, the only person that gets told off. How can she turn a blind eye to everyone except me?

How unfair.

We went to indoor volleyball yesterday, and because I didn't feel like flaunting my underwear to all the boys, I wore bike shorts under my skirt. But, despite wearing the shorts, everyone thought that when my skirt flew up they were seeing my underwear, so wearing the shorts were useless - I might as well have worn a hot pink G-string for all the good the shorts did.

There were three girls that wore shorts under their skirts - I was one of them. For the volleyball, we changed out of our skirts so we could play just wearing our shorts, just like the boys could.

Oh, and apparently, wearing shorts so boys don't see our underwear is against the rules, so I got told off, but by some miraculous miracle, the other two girls got let off the hook.

Why me?

8 comments:

chamal said...

"...apparently, wearing shorts so boys don't see our underwear is against the rules..."

WTF?

Anonymous said...

Urgh, I would never have to explain this to a girl..

Sorry, chamal. I know you can't help being a boy.

See, when girls wear skirts and it's a bit windy, they fly up, well at least, the stupid ones at my school anyway. and the popular girls who set all the 'rules' at our school - you have to shave, you have to wear this in your hair, etc - consider it highly illegal to show your underwear in public, especially if there are boys around. in my opinion, it shouldn't really matter because boys shouldn't be looking there, anyway, but we have to wear something over our underwear to 'hide' it in case our skirt flies up.

I know, it's a bit TMI, but you asked for it!

Anonymous said...

and the teachers don't approve of us wearing shorts...so what are we supposed to do? get told off, or let the boys see our underwear?

Anonymous said...

Haha sorry chamal, but I find it a bit strange....... (giggles)


CACPF

chamal said...

I can understand that allright. In fact, our rules are a lot more strict, with our traditions, culture and everything. What I don't understand though, is why you're not allowed to wear shorts.

Anonymous said...

it's soo retarded - and the skirts don't fit around my hips or my stomach (my skirts are TINY and because i only have three weeks left of primary school mum won't get me new ones) so i have to put them way up higher on my waist and it makes them heaps short and i look really slutty.

here in aus only christian private schools can have rules based around religion - for example, they can't wear jewellery unless it's a cross or a crucifix. the other schools have to survive. (lol)

that brings me to a funny story. the only way you can get away with wearing jewellery is to say it's for religeous purposes. this guy, like many of all the other guys, wear 'cool' necklaces from 'cool' shops with 'cool' brands - roxy, rusty, quicksilver and billabong are the leading ones. he almost got in trouble, but he said that he wore the necklace for religeous purposes. i looked closely at it, and it was branded 'billabong'.

Since when has the wearing of branded items been religeon?

La Pianista said...

Since people started worshiping Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson. ;)

BTW, I've e-mailed you my e-mail address. Don't wanna publicize it.

-LP

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Why don't you wear skorts?
C.S