"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Papaver Cadaver

They say
When you die
Your life flashes before your eyes

And I will remember
Days of innocence
In a field of poppies.

In the catharsis
Of self induced amnesia
Sometimes I cannot remember you at all

Life and time
Has a way of erasing memories
And dulling agonies.

But when Hell beckons
And Death is at my door
The fires of eternal damnation will not hurt me

My days as your paramour
A first love of heartbeats and sweetmeats
Will be my syrup of poppies.

*     *     *

Will you lay a poppy by my grave?
For the blood I spilled
And the blood I shed

For the times I tried to dull my pain
And in remembrance
Of you and me?

Your love made me a wartime martyr
Blood spilled on flower petals
And virgin flesh

How strange it is
That my poppies were to forget you
And yours are to remember me.

When that day comes
Tomorrow, a lifetime away
I will remember you

I know you will be there with me at the end
Bury me as Ophelia
In a brook of flowers.

Click here for a discussion of The Papaver Cadaver 

No comments: