"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, February 26, 2012

blogging. i haz it.

As far as I am aware, I am the most active blogger in Perth Mod.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

When I first started blogging, I didn't know anybody else who did blog. When I got to high school a few blogs popped up every now and again, but nothing was really regular or permanent.

Blogging is a commitment. I don't have a regular schedule, but  I have posted 761 posts for the 1230 days I have been a blogger.

A lot of effort goes into a blog post. It has to be coherent, and at least vaguely interesting. I don't do a lot of proper referencing - mostly because a lot of my stuff is opinion pieces - but there is lots of research going on behind the scenes, believe it or not. Poems can take five seconds or five days to write and I'm constantly going back to edit stuff. I get really scratchy about privacy, but at the same time there is nearly always somebody specific I'm talking to/about, especially in my poems, and I try to make that as obvious as I can. Even when I'm not blogging I'm always on the lookout for something interesting to write about, and I'm always drafting something in my mind. It's a full time job. You really need stamina to keep a blog going.

Blogging is gutsy. It's real gut spilling stuff - but for me, that's not hard. I've always been that girl who wears her heart on her sleeve; for better or for worse. I'm the kind of person who has to get it out - talk, whinge, cry, rant - to heal.

There have been some points where I've slacked off and seriously considered putting my blog on an indefinite hiatus. But I could never do it. I'm the kind of person who always has something to say. I need a creative outlet - a place where things can be published in an unrefined, raw state. If I ever become a writer I know that the books that hit the shelves will have been polished and scrutinized and pulled apart, and whilst this is all good and fine sometimes you just need to write an unedited stream of consciousness, and you need to have that kind of satisfaction that somebody is reading it.

But writing brings incredible satisfaction. Whether it's getting 100 on an English essay or just seeing a nice comment pop up on my blog, it's the best high ever.

I am so glad that I am a writer.    

No comments: