"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, February 19, 2012

So, ultimately, your attempt to get into my good books failed.

Three years ago a little, shy girl fell in love with a boy in the back of her English class. But there were always others, many others, for me as well as for you. But  I don't feel bad about that, because you didn't know or care in the slightest.

The time has passed when I would have done anything for you. I would have been content to be your friend, but that time has passed, too. You and I, we live in different worlds, and I was a fool to try and change that. Because the truth is I could have been your best friend in the whole world - I could have been anyone's friend - but nobody seems to want that, least of all you. And I understand that. I am used to being nothing to no one.

You aren't the kind of person I can just have a normal conversation with, and then walk away. That's more me than you. I can't be friends with someone who has so much control over what I feel. I'm tired of excuses, of apologies. I have been lied to all my life, and you are the least convincing of them all. So we'll go back to what we were before; you ignore me, and I'll pretend to ignore you. Friends are a petty luxury at the moment, but one day something more meaningful will come along, and I'll be okay. You taught me what not to do, and now I know how not to screw it up. 

I promise you, you won't miss me. You know that already. You're probably laughing as you read this, and to be honest, I'm laughing too. You barely know me, so there is nothing to miss.

No comments: