"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

You cannot bear to see me happy,
You'd rather see me fall.
You'd rather see me sad and lonely,
Defeated,
Conquered.

My smile
Cannot make you happy.

If I built you a house
Brick by boring brick
You'd tear it down
And demand a castle.

Because nothing's good enough,
Nothing's ever good enough. 

If I ruled the world
You'd set it on fire
And tell me
That the stars
Are as of yet
Unconquered. 

Because nothing's good enough,
Nothing's ever good enough.

You cannot bear to see me free
A butterfly cannot flutter unmolested
It must be pinned
And locked
On display.

You must learn that
You cannot control me.
I have grown too big for your
Display-cabinet. 

My greatest misery in this world
Is that you cannot reconcile yourself with
What you have created.
You can only see what I cannot do.
My greatest triumphs in this world
Have been celebrated without you.
Because I am not good enough,
Never good enough.

Could you not see me
As a joy
Rather than a duty? 
Why can't you take your own advice
And be content with your lot?

Everyone I know
Is afraid of you.
Everyone I know
Would not dare
To change you.

You could at least
Return the favour. 

You lost your right to be my friend
When you laid claim to be my jailkeeper. 
You lost your right to share in my joy
When you laid claim to cause me pain.

I'll stop pretending to love.
Because it's not good enough,
Nothing's ever good enough.


No comments: